ANTI-VIRUS Question

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Today I went to Wally-World to buy another Norton System Works with Anti-Virus and noticed another AV program called Defender Pro 5 in 1. It seems to do about the same as Norton and has similar features as Norton but costs a lot less. So, before I make a decision does anyone use Defender Pro 5 in 1 and if so what do you think about it? Any comments would be appreciated, Ken

tommays

Admiral
Re: ANTI-VIRUS Question

IMHP norton products use a LOT of system resorces ,i have had computers that a compleat norton system works install would slow to a craw<br /><br />who is your isp ? optonline gives you a full free CA EZ Antivirus/EZ Firewall which has worked great<br /><br />AVG also has a free personal verision<br /> http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01 <br /><br />tommays

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

I also use AVG free edition. It works very well.<br /><br />Does defender pro 5 have free updates? How long do they offer the free updates? That would be the most important to me. With all the virus problems appearing I would want to have my virus protection updating to keep pace with the viruses that are appearing.

LubeDude

Admiral

I vote AVG, (AND ITS FREE)!!! I have it on my computer here at the shop and at home also. Update it every day and I have had "O" problems in about a year.

vipzach

Lieutenant

I am with tommays, norton uses alot of resources and I think it sucks! CA, computer associates makes a good anti virus, the ez version is pretty good. There better version is just etrust, not eztrust. AVG is prety darn good for a free AV.

ndemge

Commander

My theory is Norton and McAfee have the pockets to pay some pretty good programers and hackers to work for them.<br /><br />My preference is Mcafee, that is the only piece of software I gladly pay for each year.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I had nortons and could not stand it. Mcaffes is the program of choice now because Comcast gives it to me for free. A good one that is resonably priced is PC Chillin by pc trend. It found a couple of things that Mcaffes missed on its sweep. I also like the parental controls on it and the cost was about half what Mcaffes and Norton wanted.

Xcusme

Commander

FYI....Seems Symantec got called on the use of their Norton Protected Recycle Bin....seems it's being classified as a rootkit...being that it hides itself from the OS. Potentially harmful programs could 'hide' in that hidden folder and not be scanned with the AV portion of Norton Security Suite. All this follows after the Sony fiasco hiding their DRM BS on their music CD's.<br /><br />Symantec objects to the name 'rootkit' but this week agreed to post a patch that will remove the hidden feature of the folder. <br /><br />Personally, I've hated the concept of it from day one. I'm glad Symantec is making it easier to give it the boots. Although you could remove it before (with a bit of work) it's a bad idea in todays computer world.<br /><br />A don't use anything Symantec anymore. The overhead of running their software it too much. I also agree that AVG is a good alternative. My first choice for a play for pay AV program is Trend Micro :) .

18rabbit

Captain

Ditto the recommend for Trendmicro. I think there is still a $25 rebate if you are using or have used Norton or any other anti-virus previously.<br /><br />The Trendmicro internet suite (anti-virus, anti-spyware, email scanning, web surfing security thingies, fireware, ...) kicks serious butt, good stuff, and a lot less expensive than similar Norton product.<br /><br />Don't know what it is using for resources, but I can't tell it's running except that it occasionally pops up a window to let me know a website is risky and why.

rwise

Captain

I use etrust, have used Norton (did not like it) and McAfee (did not like it either) my parents use Defender Pro (don't like it). Any machine I work on that does not have AV on it I put AVG on and have had no complaints from it!

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another vote for the AVG. I love that I can update it every day. No cost is great too! ;)

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well, it looks like AVG is the way to go, I downloaded a copy. Thanks for all the comments. I'm in Florida with 50k dial-up, high-speed requires cable and I use Sat cuz I can turn it on and off with a phone call for free when I'm not here, try that with cable. When on Long Island I use optonline and love the speed, I wasn't aware of the free anti-virus/firewall, thanks for the tip. I agree, Norton uses a lot of overhead and slowwws the computer almost to the point of stopping, but I like the features. Defender Pro does offer one year of updates and every 15 minutes if you wish. It also offers anti-spam, anti-spyware, a firewall, and toolbox, at $20 it's not bad. So, I'll dump Norton, install AVG and see what I think. Thanks to all, Ken <br />BTW, today I watched a parade of Stanley Steamers<br />heading up A1A from Ormond Beach, pretty neat cars.