Returning a Firearm to Manufacturer...UPDATE

ehenry

Commander
Has anyone here ever returned a firearm to the manufacturer for repair? I have a a Remington Model 7 Mountain rifle that needs to go back for repair. I'm wondering if any of yall have had any experience with this (Remington inparticular).<br /><br />What happened is the holes where the scope mounts on the receiver are stripped. When I purchased the gun new and tried to remove the plugs from the receiver they would only turn and not come out. Pressure had to be applied from behind the screws in order to extract them.<br /><br />I returned the gun to the place of purchase and asked for a replacement. They said that it could be fixed and they'd take care of it. I feel what they did was run a tap down though the holes and freshen the threads up then slather the mouonting base with clear fingernail polish then screwed it down. <br /><br />Well, after a couple years use the mount became loose and guess what.....the screws are stripped and will not tighten up. This is why I'm returning the gun to Remington. I hope they choose to replace the receiver instead of drillilng and tapping to a larger size. Any input is appreciated.

one more cast

Captain
Re: Returning a Firearm to Manufacturer...UPDATE

E.F., The Rifle factory is here in upstate NY, give them a call.<br /> Ilion Firearms Plant & Custom Shop<br />14 Hoefler Avenue<br />Ilion, NY 13357<br />TEL: 1-315-895-3200

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

All you have to do is UPS it. We (firearms owners) are permitted to UPS firearmes to and from the manufacturer. Insure it for MSRP plus your add ons (mount and scope).<br /><br />Use the # OMC listed and call first but I have sent firearms to the manufacturers before.

ehenry

Commander

OMC, I appreciate it ! I wonder if I can get though using that number better than their 800 number. I'll give it a try. THanks again.

ehenry

Commander

OMC, I appreciate it ! I wonder if I can get though using that number better than their 800 number. I'll give it a try. THanks again.<br /><br />Bob, thanks for the info on insuring for replacement costs. I'd planned on doing that.

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was going to ship my Ruger pistol back to the factory in NH for a safety recall and they sent me a shipping box and all the info to send it thru UPS. I ended up deciding just to drive it to the factory due to shipping cost ($40) because it needed to be sent next day and insured. It ended up running me about the same in fuel to drive it there and I got to see the factory.

ehenry

Commander

As much as I'd love to go visit with OMC, break bread with him and see upstate New York, maybe bark at Bob on my way through.....I believe I'd come out better shippin it!!!

18rabbit

Captain

You can ship firearms via UPS or USPS (mail), choose whichever is cheaper. You cannot walk into the post office with a gun in your hand; it must be boxed up and ready for shipping. Tracking and/or insuring is a good idea, especially if sending thru the mail. I used to ship guns frequently. UPS asked that I mark the box in bright yellow and orange so they know what pkg to keep on eye on so it doesn’t get stolen. My local post master suggested UPS was safer than the US Mail, didn’t want any of my guns stolen.

heycods

Captain

Iv never returned to rem. but I have ruger an winchester. And was verry satisfied with the results of both. Enclose a note explaining how the problem took place and the steps you went through. Ill bet its free.

D

DJ

I have done so with UPS to Marlin. No problems.

ehenry

Commander

Remington recieved the gun on a Thursday and got it back to me on the following Wednesday. Not bad service if I do say so myself. I'm totally pleased with the repairs they made. The gun is 8 years old and they repaired it under warranty. A new reciever was installed. I really figured they would drill and tap new holes. <br /><br />I'm pleased.

one more cast

Captain

Glad to here it,I figured they would stand behind it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Sounds great. Is the new receiver pre-tapped (it should be)?

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good for you. I had to deal with Taurus and wasn't very happy. I had a part on my pistol break. I sent it back and waited. Two months later, I called and they said it had been backordered. I said a note would have been nice. The guy I talked to said he had that particular part in his desk and sent it right out. The backordered part came four months later. Now I have a replacement in my gun box. They could have been better at communicating with me. My carry gun was out of commission for over two months. I wasn't very impressed. My next gun will be a glock I think. It sounds like Remington is more concerned with their image.

heycods

Captain

I told you, I dont think I have ever talked to anyone who returned a firearm to a USA mfg. that wasnt extremly pleased.<br /> Im tickled for you. :D