Printer Toner Cartridge, OEM or Remanufactured?

18rabbit

Captain
I need to replace my Xerox laser printer’s toner cartridge. Going price is about $95 for a Xerox brand std cartridge (3500 sheets), or $60 for a remanf’d cartridge ext’d capacity (5000 sheets). Obviously, the remanufacted cartridge appears a better deal. Anything wrong with remanf’d toner cartridges? Anything I should be aware of, watch out for, or is it really the deal of the century?<br /><br />Thanks!

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Printer Toner Cartridge, OEM or Remanufactured?

I have a good friend with an old HP Laser printer and he buys his new from someone on ebay for less than the cost of a reman cartridge. They are out of date but work fine for his purposes. ;)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by shortly:<br /> I have a good friend with an old HP Laser printer and he buys his new from someone on ebay for less than the cost of a reman cartridge. They are out of date but work fine for his purposes. ;)
Good tip shortly. I'll check it out for my HP 2100.

18rabbit

Captain

Toner cartridges have freshness dates? I thought that was only on beer.<br /> :) <br /><br />My printer is the Xerox WorkCentre PE120. The product isn't old enough to have out of date cartridges, yet. It's not easy finding remanf'd cartridges yet, either, but a couple of web sites list them.<br /><br />Same question: any problems with reman'd toner cartridges?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

18, I have been using one for quite a while in my HP 2100. I don't know if I have a counter on the printer so I don't know how many copies I've done but it would be quite a few. I use it to print invoice form and data for my business.<br /><br />Here is a link to the outfit I used.<br /><br /> http://www.inkquik.com/index.html <br /><br />I've used some of their inkjet reloads as well. I've had a couple of bad ones but they replace them postpaid.<br /><br />I also just remembered that I have a Xerox copier that you can plug into your computer. I reload the cartridges in that one. If you're interested I can look up the outfit I get the reload kits from and you can check if they have them for yours. So far it has worked great thru several toner reloads.

18rabbit

Captain

Thanks Boomyal, that’d be great. Didn’t know it was possible to reload a laser printer’s toner cartridge. I got curious so I pulled the cartridge out of the printer. Sure enough, there are screws holding it together. I guess there is a way to fill that thing up again. If you can find the info on the toner reload kits, pls post it.

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

With a laser printer we are talkin toner. I refill my copy machine (Canon) and also my laser printer (Brother). I bought a kit for $14 that includes a soldering iron with a nifty head that melts a perfect circle in the plastic toner bin of the cartridge. It comes with plugs for the hole you make to access the toner storage compartment. For 15-20 bucks you buy the toner and just poor it in. Once you have the kit to make the hole all you do is buy the toner. Saves you lots of money. Most printers today that use toner have cartridges that are all in one. That is the toner cartridge also contains the drum. I get about six refills on my canon copier before the drum goes bad. I refill for about $25 bucks, which includes shipping. My cartridge for my copier costs 120-130 dollars so you see the savings. The kits come with all you need. Even comes with pictures so you know where to make the hole. Today the game is selling you a printer cheap or copier cheap and making all the money on the cartridges. The quality of the print is no different than buying a new cartridge. This is where I go for my supplies. <br /><br /> http://www.tonerrefillkits.com/

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

The company is Affordable Photocopy, Inc. I bought a Xerox XD102 refurb laser copier from them. It came with a demo toner cart in it so I bought their refill kit. When the demo ran out I used the refill kit and have used in once more since.<br /><br />Don't know if they have a kit for your Xerox but it is worth a call. Each brand and model of copier uses special toner powder with the proper static charge. Don't use just any old thing or you can really gum up the works.<br /><br />Their telephone # is 888 293-0701. They are in Orygun. <br /><br />Post back what you find out.

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Now that I have the stage I will add something more. Inkjet is a different story. I have never found the remanufactured cartridges to be worth a damn. They always streak or run. I even bought a kit to refill the one I have (HP Inkjet). Again, never works right and makes horrible prints. When it comes to inkjet, you have to bite the bullet and spend the bucks on a new cartridges. That is if you want to avoid a case of the runs.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Manipulator:<br /> Now that I have the stage I will add something more. Inkjet is a different story. I have never found the remanufactured cartridges to be worth a damn. They always streak or run. I even bought a kit to refill the one I have (HP Inkjet). Again, never works right and makes horrible prints. When it comes to inkjet, you have to bite the bullet and spend the bucks on a new cartridges. That is if you want to avoid a case of the runs.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oops. I mean't to say, I agree!

18rabbit

Captain

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I’ll check out both places and let you know what I find out. Everything you guys suggested makes sense, didn’t know there were toners with diff static charges.<br /><br />Fwiw, my inkjet days are long past. For printing documents you can’t beat the quality of a laser printer. For the few times I needed something in color, I whip out my the Crayola set of 16 colors, no less. Sometimes I can even stay inside the lines.<br /> :)

18rabbit

Captain

Finally got around to reseaching the refill kits. Currently none is avilable for the Workcentre pe-120. the folks at tonerreillkits.com said i should keep the old cart for when a kit becomes avilable.<br /><br />Thanks for info, guys, but it looks like i gotta buy a replacement cart for now.

D

DJ

I've used both new and reman. in a Brother MFC. I can't tell the difference.