Digital Camera Suggestions...

ndemge

Commander
Want to get my wife a new digi cam for xmas.<br />She's currently using one that uses floppys, only saves 640x480 (.3 megapixle) And it really makes for grainy 4x6 prints.<br /><br />2.1 MP will give a very nice print.<br /><br />At work I have a canon A300 camera, Love the camera, is a 3.2 (usually I take pics at 2.1) BUT, this camera SUCKS because of the delay, it takes a picture when IT wants to. If your trying to catch the kids doing something, it might take 10 seconds to focus and get it to do it's thing.<br /><br />Her camera is FAST to focus and snap the pic, so that's why she likes it, so; my requirements are:<br /><br />2.1 MP<br />and FAST picture action.<br /><br />Budget is about $40 ebay price. <br />The A300 we have here sells for $60, and there are a LOT of options out there for the $40 price range.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Digital Camera Suggestions...

Nikon or Fuji but Nikon is my first choice.<br /><br />Bob

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by NoelMG:<br /><br />Budget is about $40 ebay price. <br />
Your budget is too small IMHO to get much! Anything in that range is going to be slow. You are going to have to step up to around $200.00.

salty87

Commander

wally mart is supposedly going to be selling a digital camera for $100 (an HP Photosmart E317... http://www.camera-prices.com/USA/hewlett-packard-photosmart-e317-digital-camera-p-26367.html) this season. might be worth it to buy new and have warranty.<br /><br />they're also supposedly going to have a $40 all-in-one lexmark printer, $100 32" tv, $4 crock pot, and $400 laptop...here's the link to the story...http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/01/news/fortune500/walmart_blackfriday/<br /><br /><br />gotta fight the crowd though

ndemge

Commander

This was fast, already got my replacement.....<br /><br />Kodak DC280 2.0 mp<br /><br />It's our old camera from work, it was retired because it wouldn't talk to the computer anymore, but it uses compact flash, and I have a compact flast reader at home.<br /><br />It takes pictures fast.<br /><br />Lubedude...when I mean fast, I mean within a few seconds and predictable. The main problem with the A300 is the predictibility, you have NO idea when it's going to finally decide to take the picture.

TilliamWe

Banned

She's currently using one that uses floppys, only saves 640x480 (.3 megapixle) And it really makes for grainy 4x6 prints
Sounds like a Sony Mavica FD75. Those are great cameras, but you are right about the grainy part. You will be amazed, whatever you buy, because your frame of reference is so low!<br />There are various Mavicas, some with higher megapixels (but still less than 1), on E-Bay, but they are going for $130 to $150.

EZLoader

Chief Petty Officer

Be sure to check out Kodak which now leads as #1 consumer choice for digital cameras based on quality of photo and ease of use (most important thing in my opinion). I shopped all the brands and Kodak won out hands down.

Friz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a Kodak Easy Share 5.0 mp. I got it almost a year ago for about $300. If you want decent pics, you are gonna have to step up in mp a price. I can make beautiful 8x10 pics with mine.

ndemge

Commander

....friz, yeah, I know... I have the 3.2 when I want something more high res, was just wanting something that can print a desent 4x6<br /><br />....the budget wouldn't allow for a 5mp, if I had the money, I'd spend the 1500 on a SLR 8mp, but I can't. $40 is about the going rate on ebay for used 2mp's... but have one now :) <br /><br /><br />...ezloader, I'd agree, the kodak is nice, and it's about 6 years old.

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

6.1 megapixle fuji here, gotta go with Fuji for great quality in photos. I worked in a photolab part time here a couple years ago, Fuji cameras produced the best digital photos. Sony, oddly enough, seemed to be the worst- color quality was poor poor.

Jeff Quigley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Invested in a a Connon EOS Digital Rebel about a year and a half ago. Best investment ever. It's SLR and will probably last me another 5 years easily. I shoot alot and like to print big. But if it's just for onscreen display you want and reg print sizes, the lower end cameras will prolly do ya.

Johnshan1

The Canon Rebel is the best thing around if ya ask me, our wedding photographers use 2 of them for all their work, pictures are wonderful.

Johnshan1

I should add though, the price is very high from everything I have seen. If I was going to spend big bucks I would get one, otherwise I will always be loyal to the fuji as I stated above...

ndemge

Commander

here's a picture with the Kodak....<br /><br />Emily approves of dad's new aquarium<br /><br />
dcp06876of2pq.jpg

Xcusme

Commander

NoelMG....Here's a link to a program (free) that you use to resize your pics...please..<br /><br /> JPG Resizer

jimr

my wife just bought me a Kodak ezshare Z760 for christmas($299). I checked it out yesterday morning to make sure it worked.......alot nicer than my old hp photosmart 318. it will also do short videos with sound

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I use google's progam picasa and it is free. A good digital organization program and re-sizes as needed.<br /><br />Nice picture.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Even though Noel already got a camera, I'd say that the Kodak Easyshare camera of any model is the way to go. They are VERY user friendly, and easily link to a photo printer. Also they are much less expensive than some of the other cameras out there.......I just picked up Kodak C340 for $150

ndemge

Commander

lol.... sorry about the un-sized picture.<br /><br />I use imageshack.us to host pictures on message boards, works great, and they have a button ya hit to resize FOR You, just forgot to do it.<br /><br />Pony, I use a photo printer as a card reader to get my pictures off the camera, works great.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

If you want to compare a zillion digicams & see reviews, go to:<br /><br /> stevesdigicams <br /><br />Good luck!