Another Computer Question

LubeDude

Admiral
The computer I have here at work now is a 2.2 gig HP AMD machine with windows XP home. It has a DVD writer burner, and a regular CD drive also.<br /><br />The problem is that when I try and install some software. (XP compatable), like the printer and photo programs, it tells me that they are 16 bit disks and it wont load them. They are obviously not 16 Bit programs. I checked the drivers on both drives and they seem ok. Devise manager says both are working correctly. What may be causing this???

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Another Computer Question

Maybe the programs are 16 bit how old are they? Is the printer brand new or old? It sounds like you need to download the drivers for the printer that support XP / 2K / NT.

ndemge

Commander

My scanner software, and my video capture card did that, software was made to work on 95/98 ONLY, try to isntall on 2k or xp and it just says NO and turns off.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> <br />The problem is that when I try and install some software. (XP compatable), like the printer and photo programs,
No, its not an issue with outdated programs, I have the same programs loaded at home and Im running XP. I can actually find the XP file in the explore section of the CD. It just wont load and comes on with a warning that Im trying to load a 16 BIt program which I am not.

LubeDude

Admiral

Thanks Colorado04, but Its not a 64 bit XP program, its a 32bit. Sure has me baffled as both the programs Im trying to load are newer applications and both have XP drivers in them. I just dont know why the computer sees them as 16bit programs when they are not. I even tryed to make a copy of them on this machine, but when I do, they still say the same thing when I try and install them.

18rabbit

Captain

Have you tried to download the drivers from the manf's websites? Also, is it possible you are selecting the wrong driver from a bunch of possible drivers on th CD? I just loaded a Xerox printer driver from a CD and it had 4 diff Windows drivers on it, had to choose the right one, 98, XP, NT, etc.

LubeDude

Admiral

These two programs auto installed on my home computer which is running XP Pro. They will go to the point of asking if you want to install, and then when you click yes, it gives me the notice and goes no farther. The drivers for XP are clearly shown if you try and self install, but when you click on them I get the same message.

Colorado04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What's the name and manufacturer of the CD's?<br /><br />Have you tried running them in "compatiblity mode"? <br /><br />If you go to start>programs>accessories you will see the "compatibility wizard". Follow the wizard and try a previous version of Window OS mode. <br /><br />It worked for me on previous tests, may work for you.

LubeDude

Admiral

Nope, nothing works, thanks all for trying!

18rabbit

Captain

Lube - when you get this problem figured out, please post back with the solution.

LubeDude

Admiral

I think schematic may have the answer, but I cant seem to do it as per the instructions given.<br /><br />Here is what it says to try. Do I type it in exactly as it says including the: expand CD-ROM Drive Letter.<br />__________________________________________________<br /><br />Insert the CD into the CD drive or DVD drive. <br />2. Click Start, and then click Run. <br />3. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK. <br />4. At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command:<br /><br /><br />expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt <br />expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt <br />expand CD-ROM Drive Letter:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com<br />exit <br />5. Start or install the program. If the issue is resolved, do not complete the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, go to the next step.

Colorado04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where it says "CD-ROM Drive Letter" are you subbing the drive letter for you cd-rom on your computer ie. d: .<br /><br />If you do suspect that you have been hit by a virus, do a scan of your machine befor you do anything else. Get ride of the cause before you try to fix it. The problem may just reoccure. If the scan does'nt work, you can try the restore function. The wizard will walk you through it. But before you do, back up all your data to removable media. Burn it off if you can. Pick a date to restore to that you feel was before you got the bug.