2003 Chevy Z-71 Question......

ehenry

Commander
My boy drives this truck and like all young guys he wants to dress the truck up and such. I totally understand and dont care what he does to the truck with in reason. He's already put twice pipes on it with tips the size of bugle phones, nerf bars and is saving for a stainless warn brush gard and winch. <br /><br />He called a minute ago to let me know he was headed to the tire shop to get a flat fixed and wanted to know if he could get his torsion bars turned to raise the frontend up some....correct me if I'm wrong but doing that will cause the front end to be have to be realigned? Doesn't raising the frontend like that affect the toe and or camber on the tires? <br /><br />My point is...he thinks its only a 5 or 10 minute deal when I'm thinking its going to be more like 30 minutes to an hour IF they can get the truck on the frontend rack.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2003 Chevy Z-71 Question......

It will but not a lot. Have him checkc with the tire shop to see what they suggest. Doing this is like when I was a kid just started driving and wanted to raise the rear end of my car. The only way to do it cheap was put wood blocks in the rear coil springs. Check on frame lift and some taller tires, it may be better and safer.<br /><br />Honestly I would question a shop that would do this, the bars were not designed to be run that way. It will work and be safe enough, but not factory specs, so for liability I am surprised they would do it.

mvaughn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If he wants a higher ride, should check into a suspension lift. This will come with the correct A-Arms and bushing to ensure a safe set up. The torsion bars are designed to work with in a given range, adding more static torque to raise the ride height sounds like trouble.

ehenry

Commander

Thats what i need to do. The guy that runs the mechanic side of the shop is a good friend. I'll holler at him and see what he says.<br /><br />Now DDawg, I just looked at your pic in the dock side chat thread "Post a pic to the words" you and me are chasin the same rabbit as far as ages goes....you couldn't get a set of air shocks for that ride? I remember my first set of Monroe air shocks.<br /><br />OH...i just reread your post "the only way to do it CHEAP" :D

ehenry

Commander

Well, he knows, because we've discussed it..... He's not putting a lift on the truck. The truck has to get him through college. He's a senior in highschool now. After he's out of college he can do with the truck as he pleases, it'll be his. BUT, for now, as long as Daddy is paying the note, tag, insurance and a tank of gas a week anything that gets done to the truck thats not a mechanical repair that has to be done has to come through me for my approval.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Check into prices for a lift. The only thing I don't care for with lifts is they are almost worthless for anything but looks. The axles are the same heigth no matter what you do with a body or suspension lift. Unless he goes with taller tires and a lift combo. But then he is looking at bucks. <br /><br />Oh and yes, it was all about the money back then. My jobs only paid the payments, insurance and gas.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

ef,<br />Food for thought any increase in ride height translates into instability, more body roll, and a higher probability of roll over. If this sounds like the voice of experience it's because, been there done that, no fun. :( :( I remember those High School driving days. ;) ;)

TilliamWe

Banned

ef, i used to work for a company that had an 88 GMC 3500 4x4 that they put a plow package on. so they cranked up the bars. that didn't seem to increase tire wear or affect handling. but it did make the ride much stiffer & rougher. the boss hated driving the truck after that, but hey, I didn't mind. But it did actually ride better when the blade was on it.