Long Is. Sound V Jersey Shore ,opinions

Donaldrankin

Recruit
We are moving to NJ this summer , I am looking for boaters opinions on which body of water is better ,LIS or Jersey Shore .We will likley locate Franklin Lakes or Basking Ridge off 287 .<br /><br />I have been told that LIS is a cess pool ? , comments or suggestions would be appreciated <br /><br />Thanks Don

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Long Is. Sound V Jersey Shore ,opinions

Howdy DMRO.<br /><br />Welcome to the board.<br /><br />Interesting question, wrong forum.<br /><br />Moving to vacations and trips.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

KennyKenCan

Commander

Welcome to the New York area.<br /><br />Their both cesspools, but just around the New York City area. <br /><br />The farther east you go in the LI Sound, or the farther south you go on the Jersey shore the better. Stay at least 10 miles away from NYC waters for fish.<br /><br />DO NOT EAT ANY TYPE OF SHELLFISH OR FISH FROM THE WATERS NEAR NEW YORK CITY ! ! WATER THERE IS DEFINITLY POLUTED.

in my country we eat goats with yellow shoes and hooked hooves.helps them hold onto squid better

JerseyJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dont listen to this jackass kennykencam.... You know what they say about folks from fire island...they are a little light in the loafers...<br /><br />I currently fish the sandy hook area / outer new york harbor, and the waters there are cleaner now then they have been in a hundred years. I have had more fish in the boat this year than any year previous. The striped bass bite has been phenomonal. <br /><br />Feel free to email me at bender@spacerobots.org, I can give you some tips to the places to fish....and where to get bait (the more reputable bait shops also give good advise)<br /><br />dont pay any attention to this mook kenny. My brother works for the DEP (NJ's own EPA), and he says the fish are clean!!!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have been boating around the Shelter Island area bays. Very nice. Kind of up-scale, but everyone is friendly. See Billy Joel often, as he keeps his boats in the marina I launch from. It would only be about a 2.5 hour drive from where you are moving to. Nice place to spend the weekend. Just a shame that NYC is between NJ and Long Island because you have to drive through it to get there. God, how I hate the Cross Bronx Expressway.......<br /><br />Also, the New Jersey shore is really nice. Just have to look around for what you like. Something for everyone. For beaches, I like the Island Beach State Park. Great place.

unixgeek13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mark...<br /><br />I've given up on the Cross Bronx... I'm in Northern NJ. We cross the Tappan Zee Bridge and make our way over to the Throgs Neck. Cuts hours of traffic delay out of the trip to Eastern LI!<br /><br /><br />...Steve...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Unixgeek13,<br /><br />Going the Tappan is too far north out of my way. I'll be coming on rt80 east bound from west NJ. Thinking of going south onto 95, to the Lincoln Tunnel, to 34st, to Queens Midtown Tunnel to 495. Tolls will be the same using the GW bridge and Throggs neck. On a map it looks to be the same distance taking either route. Wondering if it will be less congestion than the Cross Bronx expsy?<br /><br />Mark

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

you can whale watch and see dolphins from the beach at sandy hook, or island beach state park. <br /> i guess their vote on cleanliness is good enough for me.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I'm probably shooting myself in the foot with this post because I like the fact that LI is not (very) crowded and is very clean, but am advocating it as a nice vacation spot so it will now be more crowded!<br /><br />If you have a camper or like camping and have a boat, you can have a very nice (relatively) inexpensive vacation on the outer most part of LI. There are state campgrounds (that means state troopers and park rangers keep a high profile and riffraff out) that have beautiful camp sites, some just behind the dunes. Many places to put your boat in for free or for low fees. <br /><br />This summer I spent 3 weeks there with my family (a 1 week stay, then later a 2 week stay). The Peconic bay was "walk-in" warm and you could see bottom crystal clear in 4 feet of water. The ocean side was really nice, a little cooler, but still wonderful beaches are there to visit for about $15 a day pass. After 4:00pm many beaches don't collect a fee or check for season pass. <br /><br />If you have a boat, there are many isolated locations that you can anchor at for free (beaching is often not allowed and well posted). Some of the bay side beaches have a boat anchor area. Beach fees are for your car & parking. Walking in or boating in are free.<br /><br />My folks now have a house in Sag Harbor so we don't pay to stay, but in the past we have used the local bed and breakfasts, camped, and stayed at some of the more out-of-the-way hotels. Although I see even the hotels that were cheap 10 years ago are now more pricey, especially those on the water.<br /><br />Every weekend in the summer it is crowded in town, but the water is not. Weekdays the place empties out. My experience has been that the summer crowd does not show until the 4th of July weekend. Some beaches do not collect fees prior to the 4th.<br /><br />Lots to do there, get a copy of Dan's paper and you will find all the hot night spots, and where the fishing is.<br /><br />From Warren County, NJ, its 160 mile trip to Sag Harbor/Hamptons area. Takes me about 3hours of driving time towing the boat and $15 in tolls.<br /><br />Drawbacks are that most restaurants are expensive, gas is still about $2.20 gal for regular, and even the food stores cost more. Basically, everything costs more there, plus the higher NY state tax doesn’t help. Driving is best done on off-hours. Early or late. Getting in on Friday evening and leaving Sunday evening is asking for a 5-6hr drive easy.<br /><br />Enjoy!