Digital Camera

nothreat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am in the market for a digital camera for my wife. I want at least 4M pixels, 10X digital/3X optical zoom, image viewer, good battery life, ability to add memory pretty inexpensively, ability to interface to computer and to download at photoshop, some image stabilization, and decent price ($300-$400). It will be used for family pictures and some pictures at swim competitions (all my kids swim competitively). Anyone have any good recommendations? The choices are endless.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />John

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Digital Camera

I use a Fujifilm S5000. It's only 3.1 mp but has 10x optical and 22x digital. It is easy to use, takes great pictures and the AA's last forever. Here's a link for a factory refurb at $239.00. Do a search and you'll probably find it new for $300 or so. I highly recommend it. I've had two friends buy one.<br /><br /> http://www.niceelectronics.com/digital/discr45497.htm <br /><br />Here is a picture I took at 22x digital. I couldn't believe it.<br /><br />
037842.jpg

dhud64

Petty Officer 1st Class

I recently got the Fuji S5100. I have pretty good luck with it, and I'm by no means a camera whiz. It's 4 MP, 10 (optical) X 3.6 (digital) zoom with many, many features. <br />I like to look here, http://www.cnet.com/ before I buy any electronics.<br />
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]<br /><br />I took this picture last year in Vegas, just a few days after buying it.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Kodak EasyShare CX7430 makes a good 'Dummy's' camera. Takes AA batteries (NIMH), really easy to use, takes normal (cheap) SD/MMC memory cards, great price, flash recharges pretty quick. I had my parents get one of these for a trip and they had it figured out in no time. Which is saying something. :) <br />Negatives for it is that it doesn't have complete controls/features. I guess they did away with them to make it easier to use. The other thing that irked me is it didn't come with a cable for hooking it up to the TV. That's extra.<br />Never used the 'EasyShare' stuff so I can't comment on that.<br /><br />On higher dollar cameras, just about anything Canon makes. :) <br /><br />Digital zoom is the same as blowing up a picture on your computer. I don't know why they don't do 200x digital zoom. Wouldn't cost anything.

petryshyn

Commander

Ditto on the Canon.<br />One small but important piece of advice...be sure it has a view finder. Not just a LCD display. Viewfinders are priceless for sunny days and also when your eyes are too old to see the LCD panel without glasses.

Ralph 123

Captain

I am a huge fan of all the Sony Cybershots and Mavicas. I have 4 of them and gave my mother one. Outstanding quality and very easy to use. The Cybershots use memory sticks for infinite capacity and have integrated USB ports for easy transfer to computers. If you spend $10 you can buy a memory stick USB reader so you don't even need the camera to transfer your images. The Cybershots also use standard rechargeable or disposable AA or AAA batteries. My Mavica is about 6-years old and records directly to a floppy. They now have them that will record directly to a CD-RW.<br /><br />Now, The SLRs like Booms are tough to beat for pure picture quality and ability to change optics. I have several SLRs (Konica & Minolta) but I never use them because they are just so big. <br /><br />My favorite Cybershot is a 2 megapixel point and shoot not much bigger than a cigarette lighter. It takes outstanding photos and is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket so you are 10X more likely to take it with you...<br /><br />I typically just view my photos on my computer and very rarely print them so anything over 1 megapixels is way overkill for me.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like Ralph, I also am sold on the Sony CyberShot, my wife loves hers and it seems to be as good or better than my digital Nikon that was twice as much $. The Sony was not expensive, and it is a 5 plus mega pixel camera. <br /><br />Spud

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I have the Fuji S5000 also. Works great and the adapter ring allows me to fit 55mm filters to the lense (like a polarizer) which greatly improves photos. Takes AA batteries which is nice because they go dead at the worst times of course and charging isn't always convenient. It has an LCD screen and a viewfinder and can be used in auto mode or several manual and prioritized modes for more careful photography. It's over a year old now and has been great.

aspeck

Staff member

Have 2 of the older Sony Mavicas (FD9's, I believe is what they are). Nice to hold and shoot with.<br /><br />Primarily use an Olympus 710(I think). It has an 8X optical zoom (I wouldn't get anything less than a 7X), and takes some really nice pictures. Picked it up for about $200. Used it to take oover 400 pictures on vacation last week.

nothreat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like I have some comparin' to do. I have to make a decision before July 20 for vacation so your recommendations are really helpful.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I have the Kodak 7430 mentioned above. Very easy to use, takes SD cards, comes with USB cable and needs no additional software for XP. Just plug it in and XP copies off the photos. <br /><br />And the pics are good too. I think it's only a 3x optical zoom though. 2x digital on top of the optical for a total of 6x.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I hope this is not too late to help, I found the "DCRP Review" to be very informative. you can find it on line.