Interesting Top fuel dragster info!

LubeDude

Admiral
I found this amazing!<br /><br />* One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower<br />than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500.<br /><br />* Under full throttle, a Top Fuel dragster engine consumes 4 litres of<br />nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the<br />same rate with 25% less energy being produced.<br /><br />* A stock Dodge 426 Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger.<br /><br />* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition.<br />Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.<br /><br />* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.<br /><br />* Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric<br />water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.<br /><br />* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.<br /><br />* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel<br />flow.<br /><br />* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.<br /><br />* In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an<br />average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.<br /><br />* Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.<br /><br />* Top Fuel Engines turn approximately 540 revolutions while traveling a quarter of a mile!<br /><br />* Including the burnout the engine must only survive about 900 revolutions under load.<br /><br />* The red-line is actually quite high at 9500 rpm.<br /><br />* The Bottom Line: Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated<br />$1,000.00 per second. The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is4.441 seconds for the quarter mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The topspeed record is 333.00 mph (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of therun (09/28/03 Doug Kalitta).<br /><br />*Putting all of this into perspective:<br /><br />You are riding the average $250,000 Honda MotoGP bike. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the<br />RC211V hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and pastthe dragster at an honest 200 mph (293 ft/sec). The 'tree' goes green<br />for both of you at that moment. The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your wrist cranked hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes<br />you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him.<br /><br />Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course.<br /><br />That, folks, is acceleration

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Interesting Top fuel dragster info!

My buddy I used to work for is an engine builder for John Force on Eric Medlen's crew. used to be that guy couldn't hold an engine together in his olds but I guess if you have an open checkbook for the highest quality parts it makes all the difference :D

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Top Fuel Engines turn approximately 540 revolutions while traveling a quarter of a mile
Being a drag race fan, I never thought of that until you brought it up... Wow..

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

All I know is if you have not been to a NHRA drag race you can not apreciate these speeds.<br /><br />I would spend some time on the starting line, don't worry it's not a hard attack it just feels like one. And spend some time at the finish line also, 300 mph is real fast.

LubeDude

Admiral

I have been to one national event at Pumona. I could not believe how loud it was and I have bad hearing. You have to put your hands over your ears or its painfull. The ground actually shakes, It set off car alarms in the parking lot.<br /><br />I think it should be outlawed, if they go the same direction every time, they are bound to stop the rotation of the earth eventually. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Another bit of useless info:<br />Our Detroit Diesel 8V92 twin turboed race engines run a blower drive ratio of 1.95:1 in std form.<br />To step up to 2.6:1 for racing at 3000+ rpm it takes approx 230 hp EXTRA to drive that blower.<br />BTW, we are running up to 100 psi boost pressures.<br />Regards.<br />Pete.

TilliamWe

Banned

Our Detroit Diesel 8V92 twin turboed race engines run a blower drive ratio of 1.95:1 in std form.<br />To step up to 2.6:1 for racing at 3000+ rpm it takes approx 230 hp EXTRA to drive that blower.<br />
Ok, but do you by pass the blower when the turbos are producing enough boost on their own? Or is that not possible like on a 435hp Silver 92?

Darren Smith

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The blower on a Detroit is never bypassed. A Detroit Deisel will not run without it! Has anyone ever seen one run away? When I was going to tech school a student left a barring tool on and engine, instructor started the engine, tool hit the instructors arm, and put the 12V92 into full fuel. in about a second that deisel was building 10,000 RPMs, shot a rod through the side of the block, between the students legs, and through a block wall 50 feet away! The student dropped out of school, and the instructor got a cast on his arm. Luckily no one was injured, but you couldn't see anything because of the black smoke pouring from the engine.

Darren Smith

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I forgot to mention.... Great info on the top fuel, didn't mean to hijack. I remember supersport or motor trend doing a race between a carrier launched jet and a top fuelly, obviously, no one wanted to put the top fuel in the water, so they did a measured distance, and timed it. The top fuel actually accelerated faster than the jet off the carrier!

ehenry

Commander

I"ve been to the Cajun Nationals a number of time and to Memphis to watch the big boys run....when the top fuel machines leave the line theres nothing else in the world that gives you that sensation. They literally rattle your insides

Moody Blue

Captain

Thanks for the trivia LubeDude. Fascinating to look at it that way.<br /><br />I am fortunate to have two event tracks within a couple hours drive from me and I attend two events each year. The IHRA event at Grand Bend and the Canadian Nationals at Cayuga. The sounds, vibrations, smells and sensations can't be explained to anyone that has never been. Took my youngest son last year and now he is hooked as well.<br /><br />What blows me away is how they are able to transfer all that HP to the ground without melting the tires off the rims.

3388sam

Cadet

I used to work for Mallory and Erson cams (before Mr gasket bought it). We did a lot cam grinds for most Top fuel and Funny Cars. Most of the fuel used on a pass is used to cool the engine and I've seen plenty of blocks blow do to hydro lock.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

TW,<br />Negative on that,<br />The turbo's deliver up around 45 PSI and the rest is done by the blower.<br />Take the turbo's out and we are back to about 35 psi Airbox pressures<br />Peter

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I reccomend everyone attended one NHRA event, or at least just drive by and hear the noise and feel the shake.<br /><br />It is the loudest thing you will ever feel!<br /><br />I remember going to my first race and walking in from the parking lot and telling my dad, "what the heck was that noise and that streak of paint". I honestly didnt know what the heck was going on, I thought it was something else.<br /><br />Ken

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Un-freeking-believable!<br /><br />I recall when the AA fuelers began to break into the high 6s, and the funny cars were just a tad behind. And now they're running in the 4s. Ya gotta wonder how long it'll take to get into the 3s!<br /><br />WOW!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Yup. <br /><br />Dogsdad.. Quite a few years ago I remember saying to my bud "fuel cars will never break into the 4 second range.. NEVER.." Then Gene Snow came along and ran a 4.90somethin, with Eddie Hill right there running 4.90's too... :eek: <br /><br />Then I said, "ya, but they'll NEVER get into the 3's."... <br /><br />Now, I'm beginning to wonder..... ;)

dogsdad

Lieutenant

No kidding, snap. You know there's gotta be a limit. Heck, there's only so much money in the universe, for starters. It seems to me that shaving additional tenths of seconds off of ETs will come at ever-escalating costs, but there's no reason I can think of that they won't break into the threes someday. <br /><br />Holy geeze...the things are gonna start going into orbit someday!

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have ben to the NHRA races here in Ennis. Standing at the end of the quarter mile you see them go from a standing start to pass you at over 300mph and it seems like it cannot be possible. My son and I went and tried explaining it to my wife but it was useless. You have to see it. It seems the only thing limiting them is keeping the tires stuck to the track.

LubeDude

Admiral

I understand that now, everyone knows how to make horsepower, now its in the clutch system, they have a wierd type of pnumatic clutch that works off air preasure I think. It has several disks and the make up of the disks is a highly guarded secret.