Marine wax on cars?

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer
From everythign I have heard...you should only wax your boat with marine wax. What is so different about the mainre wax versus the auto wax? If the marine is "better" then why wouldn't you use the marine on you cars? Is there anyreason not to?<br /><br />Just curious....paid $24 for my 3m Performance Marine Wax and my car needs a good waxing...figured..better ask than find out later that it was a bad idea.<br /><br />-JustMrWill

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Marine wax on cars?

I have used car wax on the boat a few times, the quick stuff, looks great, no side effects. Hand rub wax I use only Marine. My guess is the auto wax won't last, but I see little chemistry differences in the waxes. Just the cost.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Most wax is the same whether it is for car or boat.The best is carnuba.The polishes differ however.Some have teflon,some have silicones which give gelcoat a darker moist appearance.If you are waxing you can use either wax for either application.When it comes to polishes I would only use a marine polish for gelcoat and you can use any polish you want on a car finish.I have tried them all .What type are you using???

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

They just add the word "Marine" to bump the price up 30%

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well, if you get stopped and the police find marine wax on the car knowing the great state of MA you might have to pass a marine inspection....a paddle, fire ex, life jackets.<br /><br />I do believe the marine wax will be harsh on a car surface. It is usually designed to remove oxidation from fiberglass.

Ralph 123

Captain

In addition to what CC said re sealants and waxes, it all depends when it comes to waxes that are really cleaner/waxes (As Bob mentioned). Here's an example:<br /><br />
<br />Most marine cleaner/waxes are stock car wax formulas repackaged for boats (and usually carry a higher price). The problem with automotive cleaner/waxes is the solvent cleaner isn't strong enough to adequately remove gel coat chalk...<br /><br />Warning: Do not use this wax on your car. The cleaner is too strong for automotive finishes.<br /><br /> http://properautocare.com/mamacl.html <br />

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sooo..since it is notthe cleaning wax then it should be ok for autos....<br /><br />thanks<br /><br />-JustMrWill

Ralph 123

Captain

I'm not sure. It's not just a wax...<br /><br />
<br />This innovative new product will leave a protective high gloss finish on marine fiberglass gelcoat, marine topside paints, painted aluminum and metal parts.<br /><br />Contains the unique 3M polymer technology which provides the durability of an acrylic, with the soil release and water beading properties of fluoropolymer and silicone.
3Ms Data page for the wax<br /><br />And then there's this:<br />
<br />3M Marine Wax<br />Designed to remove Heavy oxidation chalking fading minor scratches rust and exhaust stains; plus provide protection on fiberglass/gelcoat and marine topside paints. Restores shine and protects in one application
More infor from Jamestown

Link

Rear Admiral