outboard shipping

JRJ

Commander
I would check with dealers for the brand of o/b. They may sell or give you a used crate. I would get prices on motor freight,UPS,Fedex, etc. $500>$1000 I bet. Let us know what you come up with.

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class
outboard shipping

I have a 115 hp 4 stroke that I am selling. A guy I know that lives in Oregan would like to have it, but I live in Pa. Does anybody know the best way (cost wise) to ship something like this cross country?

ndemge

Commander
Re: outboard shipping

Check in your yellow pages for LTL freight carriers<br /><br />call around and get quotes. Quite often you'll get lucky and find that one company that has a direct truck going just where you need it to go with room for just ONE more pallet on the back.<br /><br />And remember this: There is no such thing is overkill in packing. You've got yahoo's loading and moving this thing, you want it crated. Buy what is called a "tip and tell" It's a very cheap little piece of plastic that shows if an item has been tipped or flipped over. Blue sand in the bottom, with glue on the top, if sand touches the top, you know it's been for a wild ride.... this usually gets people to take a little extra care, cause they dont' want that tip n tell to tell on THEM.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Freight is the cheapest due to weight. Have it banded to a pallet and ship it.<br /><br />Bob

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Completely crate the motor in plywood with a wooden frame inside. Any damage to the plywood and you had better inspect BEFORE accepting delivery. <br /><br />This includes the bottom of the pallet, as forklift forks can cause alot of hidden damage if the pallet slips or the operator tilts them up.

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow, this is starting to sound like it is more bother then it would be worth! A crate completly enclosed with plywood would weigh almost as much as the motor.....ok maybe not, but a lot!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would aviod the whole box suggestion. It would create a surface for the freight company to load stuff on top of. You can cover the motor with cardbaord or even shrink wrap once it is hitched to a pallet. <br /><br />Bob

ndemge

Commander

.....Bob... good point on the surface for them to set stuff on.... When crating, build the top like a roof... put a peak so nothing flat can sit on it :)

fireman57

Captain

I know that ABF trucking has very reasonable rates fro terminal to terminal shipping. Call them.

phatmanmike

Captain

i shipped a 115 inline 6 from tampa, florida to salt lake city, utah. took 3 days and cost me 310 dollars.<br /><br />lay it on a pallet and build a plywood box around it and take it to your nearest www.forwardair.com terminal.<br /><br />problem solved