Iboats Offline overnight ?

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Guys , one for the mods.<br />Guys we keep losing the Iboats website during the day/evening our time(nz). I've done a tracert during your day and we get in no problems. Here's the international chunk of a working trace to dns1.iboats.com<br /><br /> 8 324 ms 151 ms 189 ms p0-3-0-0.pabr3.global-gateway.net.nz [202.37.246.201]<br /> 9 203 ms 150 ms 273 ms sl-st20-pa-6-2.sprintlink.net [144.223.243.49]<br /> 10 282 ms 152 ms 153 ms sl-st20-pa-1-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.20.171]<br /> 11 156 ms 156 ms 241 ms sl-eleclight-16-0.sprintlink.net [144.223.243.6]<br /> 12 314 ms 169 ms 156 ms p7-0.cr02.sntd.eli.net [207.173.114.141]<br /> 13 166 ms 164 ms 197 ms p9-0.cr01.lsan.eli.net [207.173.114.53]<br /> 14 167 ms 160 ms 184 ms srp3-0.cr02.lsan.eli.net [208.186.20.210]<br /> 15 173 ms 396 ms 184 ms p9-0.cr01.lsvl.eli.net [207.173.114.33]<br /> 16 170 ms 171 ms 310 ms srp3-0.cr02.lsvl.eli.net [208.186.20.162]<br /> 17 268 ms 210 ms 257 ms so-1-0-0--0.cr02.slkc.eli.net [207.173.114.38]<br /> 18 392 ms 261 ms 201 ms ge-7-0-0--0.gw02.slkc.eli.net [207.173.113.26]<br /> 19 * * * Request timed out.<br /> 20 * * * Request timed out.<br /> 21 * * gw0-cust-IBOATS-COM.slkc.eli.net [216.190.238.122]<br /><br />Its been like that during our evening for the last couple of weeks and we loose it at line 18 every time. It goes off at roughly midnight western time and returns about 6am. This doesn't seem to affect domestic traffic as posts are appearing whilst we are blacked out.

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Iboats Offline overnight ?

Probably some kind of backup. I'm frequently on around 2:30 AM PST and it works fine...

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

It's like an ISP is shutting down through those hours....don't know what to say for sure..???..

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

I too have had the same problem.<br />Last 2 weeks I have not been able to get onto iboats at all. <br />Today it is working fine.<br /><br />"poof it's microsoft" says my ISP tech.<br />I know what he means but it still doesnt explain the reason.<br />I knew it was not my computor as I was unable to get in from home or from my laptop.<br /><br />Peter

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hey peterf, how's your project coming? No new pics since Jan 8. Surely you must have made some substantial progress since then.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Peter & Rockhopper, what ISP are you with?<br /><br />Aldo

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Xtra ,based in NZ. My first thought was a local ISP issue but I couldn't resolve any of the iboats.com hosts. I did a whois and looked up the ip's and then compared tracert's to the IP address's and it died toward the end of the chain. I'll post from home this eveing, assuming it lets me. I'm not saying it isn't a local issue but i can ping the last router all the way up untill arond midnight WT.

Dunaruna

Admiral

O/k, You lost me after 'my first thought' :p <br /><br />Optusnet are experiencing problems in relation to i-boats, is it possible that your ISP is using them?<br /><br />Aldo

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Same problem here.<br /><br />For the past few weeks I haven't been able to get iboats at all on my home computer, 24/7, through cable on my ISP optusnet.com.au. Using Win 98 there. <br /><br />Done all the usual stuff under Optus' instructions to reset IP addresses and clear everything, with no result. No ping on the iboats site through Optus. Tried other ways in through Google search links and whois search for iboats IP addresses with no result. Partial result with iboats numerical IP address but doesn't show full screen details and links don't work. <br /><br />I've been having increasingly testy emails with Optus which keeps shifting ground from it's an inability to resolve the DNS to the latest "iboats has changed its DNS or something and it's an iboats problem and we're not going to do anything about it.". Optus says iboats probably changed its host or something and that's why we can't connect. I said to Optus that I can get it on other services so the problem must be at Optus.<br /><br />No problems getting on during the day at work on a large corporate system on Win XP. I have no idea what work uses to connect to the internet. I also have no interest in doing any work, so it's not as serious as it would be if I couldn't get onto it at work!

Dunaruna

Admiral

KiwiPhil (i-boats member) has been experiencing problems with optusnet in relation to i-boats for over a year, optus admit it's a problem at their end.<br /><br />In Australia (i don't know about NZ) there are only two primary ISP's, Telstra and Optus. All other ISP's are second tier, they buy bandwitdth of the big two. So even if your are not with optus there is a 50/50 chance that your ISP is using the optus router.<br /><br />Aldo

Tinkerer

Hooray!<br /><br />I'm back on at home.<br /><br />My last unusually impolite email making disparaging comments about the quality of Optus engineers and their "it's not our problem" attidtude and asking for a reduction in fees seems to have done some good.<br /><br />EDIT: Maybe not so good. Now I can waste time on iboats at home as well as work.

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well for the first night in ages its running from home. If it drops out again i'll post the routing. Interesting " Partial result with iboats numerical IP address but doesn't show full screen details and links don't work. " this would point to the link being up but a dns problem. For the first time i acutally get a response when i ping www.iboats.com , i get a timeout cos icmp is blocked but at least it resolves. Somebodys stuck a dime in the meter :D

Tinkerer

Text of my last night's email reply to Optus.<br /><br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />I realise that the problem isn't your fault, but unfortunately you're the one who has to deal with it.<br /><br />You may appreciate that I am getting increasingly stroppy when I can access the site outside Optus but not through Optus, and have been able to do so for the past few weeks while only Optus cannot provide the service, and now your engineers say it's beyond their control. In short, it's a "we're not going to do anything about your problem" response.<br /><br />I don't appreciate paying full whack for a partial service when other ISP's can provide the service which appears to be beyond the apparently limited capacities of your engineers.<br /><br />The "problem" is clearly an Optus problem and it is time Optus fixed it.<br /><br />I note that in an earlier explanation it was said to be a problem which would right itself in a few days, but now it's apparently of indefinite duration.<br /><br />I'm not disposed to let the matter rest when one of the only three sites I access regularly is unavailable because of an apparent deficiency in the Optus service.<br /><br />If Optus can't provide about a third of the service I pay for, how about dropping my subscription to two thirds of the usual rate until your engineers figure out how to achieve the connection that other providers already have?<br /><br />Regards

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've been noticing the same problem with my work's ISP, "Xtra" which is a division of Telecom NZ. They must be using Optus's router (don't they own Optus...?).<br /><br />I'm having no problems reaching iboats on my home ISP - "ihug".<br /><br />It's interesting that you guys in Aussie are having the same problem - I thought it was just me :rolleyes:

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the same problem in Mexico City and yet my friends in Calgary could acess iboats no problem.<br />It's good to be back!

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

The weird part of all this though was that all other .com websites functioned OK. It was only iboats that I couldnt access, almost like they were on a blocked address list.<br />At present I am on my laptop using a Telecom CDMA mobile data card. I can also plug into the office LAN (when I am in my main office) or on dial-up from the computor at home. 3 different conx. All had the same result.<br />NO iboats<br /> :confused: :mad: <br /><br />Boomyal,<br />I have made a little progress on the project but the last time we were at the beach (Easter) I forgot the digi camera so no pix.<br />We have a long weekend this time (ANZAC Day hol for NZ & Australia on Mon 25th) but our daughter is coming home today to prepare for a big Rotary Charity Concert (guest artist) on Sat nite and so we miss getting to the beach :( <br /><br />Regards, Peter

orca

Chief Petty Officer

G,day<br />I have not been able to access iboats for 3 weeks! I have tried computers from differant parts of South Australia with no luck. I was begining to think that iboats had gone bust.<br />Its good to be back.

terryc

Seaman

I've been trying to access Iboats for the past 3 weeks from Gold Coast Aust on broadband cable through telstra with no luck. I also thought iboats had gone out of business. I got some friends with other computers to try access with no luck either. I tried using Safari and Explorer on Mac with no success until couple of nights ago, then all seemed normal. Good to see iboats is still alive!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Not had any problems here. I use iiNet. All the ISPs in Oz use the Telstra backbone so if your having problems it's going to be local (your ISP)<br /><br />Chris.........

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since starting this thread its all started working. Dont you hate that :D .