direct tv no deal

crab bait

Captain
bought direct tv system at best buy.. an waited two weeks for sheduled install am..<br /><br />waited till pm.. no go..<br /><br />about to throw-in-the-towel.. ring ring phone.. be right there in an hour for your install..<br /><br />two hours pasted ,,no installer.. heck with this..!! this is seriously cuttin into my drinkin' time ..espesically happy hour at the deer park on a friday..!!<br /><br />when i returned home aound 8 pm.. the incomplete 'work order' was jammed into my door..<br /><br />next day ,, i returned the junk back to best buy.. DONE..<br /><br />in a mall this week,, walked past a kiosk stand.. sellin' disk network .. stopped in my tracks..<br /><br />no equipment to buy..<br /><br />no one year contract.. <br /><br /> installed by 'the man 'himself.. fast..<br /><br />an 10 bucs cheaper a month then direct tv for the same viewing package.. <br /><br />glad to situation happened to me..!!

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Re: direct tv no deal

I have Dish with one of those DVR deals (Recorder), Don't have much to say good or bad except ya only get about three months of good viewing before ya start getting re-runs...Major Bummer when ya realize you have already seen your top three viewing choices, Grrrr

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't blame DirecTV, blame the installer.<br /><br />My DTV guy was on time to the minute.<br /><br />Gotta admit, though, Dish is sure trying hard.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have been running dish network for a long time now (actually since my 10' dish and C band got way out of hand and technology had been replaced).<br /><br />Dish is good and Direct is also good however the best secret is to play them against each other. You will come out ahead each time when you threaten to leave one for the other. They are very serious about keeping customers.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I have Directv, and hate it. I've had DTV since 1992 with limtted problems. But lately, I'm not happy. I recently "upgraded" to recieve local channels, and have yet to receive them. The installer was sloppy, leaving box material in the street in front of my home. He told us it would werk after I cut down a tree that was in the way....Three trees and a chainsaw later, we have yet to get a solid signal! Meanwhile, I'm paying the additional premium for locals!<br />They have me by the short ones because I signed a one year contract....And that "installer" is not to step foot on my property again. He was snotty, did shoddy werk, and didn't have the common courtesy to pick-up after his knappy self!<br />I would strongly urge prospective DTV buyers against it. I have never had cable or Dishnet, but they simply CAN'T draw as much vacuum as DTV does!

KaGee

Admiral

Doesn't Dish have those pesky pop up ads on the menu??

one more cast

Captain

I went from cable to dish and hated it so bad I never had the cable turned off and had to pay on the dish for a year. Cable all the way for me.

crab bait

Captain

explain OMC..<br /><br />still mite not get it.. they want a major credit card ( no problem .. have 3 if you like )<br /><br />also my SSI number.. ( major problem here )<br />i made a hard oath to myself years ago.. ssi # is only for tax an employer.. <br /><br />THAT'S IT..!! <br /><br />if more people stick-to-their-guns on this.. maybe your SSI # wont be drug thru the mud.. <br /><br />THERE OUGHT TO BE A LAW..<br /><br />if bush wants the overhaul ssi,, start here first.. <br /><br /> i wounldn't mind 666 on my forehead... whatever,, but my ssi # is holy ground..

KaGee

Admiral

Cap'n Crabby.... sounds like somthin more than Directv has got your blood to boilin... <br /><br />Sounds like SPRING FEVER!<br /><br /> ;) <br /> :cool:

one more cast

Captain

originally posted by crab bait<br />
explain OMC..<br />
First off the dealer told me free install, they had to mount the dish about 80' from the house so I had to buy a post a bag of ready mix and 100' of cable. They told me I would be able to get all the local stations for a flat fee of $3 or something like that. I got about 5 CBS's, NBC's ,ABC's The most local was from NYC at a cost of $3 each. When I confronted them they told me to take up the install with the installer,not them. Every time it rained or snowed I lost reception. I tried to get out of the contract. They said sure that will be $300. It was cheaper to just pay it for the year. I ended up paying for basic only and setting it up at my daughters house so it wasn't a total loss.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

FWIW: I have dish, and if you pay for a year, you get 13 months. Saves a bit.<br /><br />On the other hand, I have 60 channels of junk that I never watch.<br /><br />Jinx

Twidget

Commander

Has Dish Network sorted out the problems with their DVR? I used to use them, the DVR lasted about 8 months, then died. Had 3 replacements in 2 years after that.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Twidget:<br /> Has Dish Network sorted out the problems with their DVR? .
That's one of the major advantages Direc TV has had and still has over Dishnetwork, Direc TV's hardware,Regular and HD receivers, DVR's "tivo" are and have been hands down more reliable and much more advancded. :)

bh357

Chief Petty Officer

We had Direct TV for a couple of years. Wife and I had finally gotten fed up with loss of reception whenever it rained, and signed up for cable. When we cancelled Direct TV (last September), the next bill showed a credit balance (cancelled early in the month). I assumed that this would be refunded to us within a month or 2. Well, December rolls around, and we received another statement showing the credit balance. Called Direct TV, and was told that they would send out the payment, and it would take about 6 weeks to process :confused: . February rolls around, and still no refund of the credit :mad: . Received statements for January and February showing the credit balance. Called again, and it appears that the *%*$&#&%s at Direct TV never processed the refund. They assured me that it would be sent out, but another 4~6 weeks for processing :mad: :mad: . Last Friday comes, and still no refund. Called Direct TV again, and was told that supposedly the rebate was mailed out the day before. If I don't have the refund by this Friday, I will be calling back and speaking to the department head.<br /><br />Do not, and I repeat DO NOT sign up for Direct TV. This service is NOT RECCOMMENDED :mad: .

jimalsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been useing DishNetWork for the past 3 years with no problems at all. I don't lose the signal when it rains or snows,no matter how hard. This is because the instalation was done correctly.I have a plastic shield over top of the recieving arm of the antenna. The installer told me a lot of people DO NOT put that part on. It seems to me it is all in who puts the thing up.I get all the local channals,NBC,CBS,ABC,PBS,andFOX FOR $3.00.

KaGee

Admiral

I live in Ohio and are subject to heavy rain and snow. I can count on one hand the amount of "rain fade" we have had, and then for only a few minutes.<br /><br />If you are constantly loosing signal, then your dish needs re-aligned or you have trees in your line of sight. <br /><br />I have cable only because of internet connection. My interenet connection on cable goes down much more often than my DirecTV fades from weather.

rwise

Captain

I ha DTV got ride of it, they kept killing the access card, rates kept going up, rain fade etc. I now have dish and still get rain fade when heavy storms are south of me, a 36" dish fixes this but its not that often. I keep my directional outside ant. for locals in bad weather. I think they should have a select what you want option instead of this is what you get! because I live between Tulsa and Oklahoma city (closer to Tulsa) I get both locals with my ant. but with dish they (FCC) choose for me to have Tusla locals. Oklahoma city covers weather in my area but not Tulsa, go figure. cable is not available.

ehenry

Commander

We have be on Dish Network for about 2 years now and am fairly satisfied with it. Its amazing though that sometimes we can get a real frog strangling rain and the dish will never miss a beat. Other times a shower will roll through and we'll loose reception. I've no idea whats up with that. Over all though I'm satisfied Dish Network.

crab bait

Captain

well, it's all a no-go here.. they wont do it without my ssi #.. an i wont give it..<br /><br />o'well ..

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by crab bait:<br /> well, it's all a no-go here.. they wont do it without my ssi #.. an i wont give it..<br /><br />o'well ..
Crab, Best Buy is the worst place to buy Direc TV.<br />You can sign up for Direc TV without giving your SS# you pay $50 and it's credited to your first months bill.<br /><br />How does $50 sound for a DVR "TIVO" and as many others rooms as you want...?