Any nuisance wildlife/exterminators out there?

fishndvm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My folks called me from Florida last night and told me that the next door neighbor saw rats climbing inside the attic space. Then they remembered hearing the scurrying once it was brought to their attention. I don't really want to suggest killing them, especially by baiting them and hoping they don't die inside. Any ideas? I know that sometimes if the opening(s)is/are found in the case of some unwanted critters, chicken wire cones can be constructed and placed so that the large end is inside the opening, facilitating exit, but the small end either discourages or makes it impossible to return. If there's anyone with any expertise in rat ridding out there, I sure could use a few pointers. Thanks a million.

ehenry

Commander
Re: Any nuisance wildlife/exterminators out there?

There are baits out there that make the critters have to have water and they will leave the residence in search of water. I'd bait them with something like that.

Link

Rear Admiral

I don't like PETA but at the same time don't like to hurt animals.. the baits efhenry is talking about do work but make them suffer.. Greatly! The most used one around here is DECON! <br />The one way screens that you spoke of I have made to trap rats, mice and squirrels but don't know where you could buy them. I used a wire (not plastic) screen and made a funnel out of the center.. the last two inches of the funnel were just straight wire.. with about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch opening.. they could only go one way.<br />Another way is the electronic rodent repellers.. <br />Years ago we tamed mice.. then got tried of them <br />and the mess.. plugged them in and got rid of 90% of them in the first 12 hours.. the last ten % adapted and had to be taken out the hard way.. we used live traps and set them loose in a park :eek: <br />These days between my Penny Cat (the Cats CAT) and her kittens we dont worry about it :) <br />Nothing gets by them! If it moves.. they catch it!

rwise

Captain

FOX URINE! you can get it at your local hunting supply. spray it around the places they may come in at, many have told me this works. i would think it works better before they invade, but there it is.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Get a live trap, then take the live rats to your local PETA hq. They can figger out what to do with 'em. Chief :) <br />Once the rats are gone get a few barn cats to take control, and patch some holes. :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

nuke em :)

gaugeguy

Captain

One of these should work...<br /><br />
sbe2-small-guns.jpg

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

No he's trying to eliminate the holes that they can crawl into. Not create more. :) <br />Where's Elmer Fudd when you need him.<br />Call in a pro to get them out or DIY, then seal up the access.

fishndvm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not sure how helpful some of those answers were, but I did laugh 'till I cried. Good bye attic.

flashback

Captain

Whats wrong with the old "Victory" rat trap..They have worked for over a hundred years... :D

ehenry

Commander

Victory trap works like a champion. But then again he sounds like he doesnt want to hurt the little vermin.

KRS

Banned

Prune any trees that have branches overhanging any part of your house (porch, roof) or touching your house. They could be using the trees as ingress / egress.

Bondo

Staff member

Wheres JasonJ.........<br />He's In the Business Isn't He..????<br /><br />I buy Decon by the Case...........<br /><br />Mice in the Shop.....<br />Even Rabbits in the Garden........<br />22 shorts Don't Seem to bother the Neighbors............ :rolleyes:

Snookster

Seaman

Hurt them... give me a break - they're rats.<br />There's a bar in Balt. that has fishing tournaments for rats off the roof - intresting turn of events don't you think?<br /><br />Call the city or county - they will place poison that makes the rats draw to water, so they'll leave the attic looking for a sewer - then seal up the attic.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You'll need to do three things...<br />1 - Rid the place of the rats<br />2 - Find the points of entry<br />3 - Plug the pionts of entry with rat proof material.<br /><br />Rats are deathly afraid of ferrets. Caged ferrets are often used in places where poisons could present a problem or where fumigation can not be considered, like in a food storage warehouse. Placing two or three caged ferrets in a building will rid the place of rats very quickly...they will vacate for fear of being attacked by the ferrets, then the points of entry can be blocked.<br /><br />Know anyone with ferrets???

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

get a thin neatly dressed non smoking exterminator.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Rats, tree rats(squirrels) get live traps. Put Cashews on the trap. Get all you want. Once gotten? Your choice.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

waja, with tic-tacs if you please... >)

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

On the topic of nuisance wildlife, anyone have any brainstorms on getting rid of moles? Tried poison bait, spike traps, castor oil sprays. Only common advise is to trap them, I have only spiked 2 in the last 4 years. I must have unusual rodents, because I must have a whole family despite expert opinion that they are solitary critters. My 2 acre lawn, all 2 acres, looks like a mine field. The only thing that kept them in check was Dursban and Diazinon, neither of which I can now get, THANK YOU DO GOODERS.

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TRULY NOLEN !!!!