Any Linux users?

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander
I'm in the market for a new computer,i'm trying to decide on whether i should stick with windows and internet explorer or make the change to linux and some other browser,so if you are a linux user, could you tell how much of a difference is it to microsoft windows? and what are the pros and cons if any?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Any Linux users?

Hey Elmer, I use both IE and Netscape 7.2.<br />I like the Netscape better than I do the IE.

Xcusme

Commander

Elmer,<br /><br />Have you run Linux??<br /><br />If you havn't , and if you have access to a cd burner, go here:<br /> Knoppix<br /><br />D/L the iso image, burn to a cd and boot it up.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Xcusme:<br /> Elmer,<br /><br />Have you run Linux??<br /><br />If you havn't , and if you have access to a cd burner, go here:<br /> Knoppix<br /><br />D/L the iso image, burn to a cd and boot it up.
Xcusme, is it just a demo. If so can you download it just to check out Linux then dump it? It would be fun to see what it's about.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Same questions as boomyal. <br /><br />Isn't linux a complete operating system? <br /><br />Aldo

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> Same questions as boomyal. <br /><br />Isn't linux a complete operating system? <br /><br />Aldo
It is that, DR. It would be fun to see a demo of it. I don't have any plans to switch but I like to stay abreast.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />
Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> Same questions as boomyal. <br /><br />Isn't linux a complete operating system? <br /><br />Aldo
It is that, DR. It would be fun to see a demo of it. I don't have any plans to switch but I like to stay abreast.
Yup! I have several friends (puter guru's) that run linux.. they swear by it.. but in secert they swear at it alot too ;) seems it needs tweeking a lot. <br />What ever happened to DOS LOL<br />Nevermind I got lost in QBasic! ;)

Xcusme

Commander

Demo?? Nope , it's the real deal.<br /><br />If you've never run Knoppix, you'll be amazed. Boot the CD (you may have to go into your bios settings and change the 'boot order' of your computer). Usually the computer 'looks' for an operating system on the floppy drive first, then a CDRom drive then a hard drive. Some guys change the boot order to look at a floppy first, then directly to the hard drive to speed up the boot process (as stated above, you'll want to change this). Be sure it looks for a CDRom before it looks to the hard drive.<br /><br />When the cd boots, it will initialize Knoppix, detect your hardware, load drivers and run the desktop.<br /><br />The best thing part is, you can copy files, surf the web ect, and not worry about getting infected. The whole OS (operating system) runs off of the cd. You really don't even need a hard drive! Since you can't write to the Knoppix CD, a virus can't either, so it's basically bulletproof.<br /><br />Play around with it, you can't hurt it. If you get into some sort of trouble, just reboot, and you're back in business.<br /><br />It supports wireless cards too (Orinoco works great) Wireless wardriving, site surveys and scads of utilities.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Xcusme! Re: your following directive.<br /><br /> "D/L the iso image, burn to a cd and boot it up."<br /><br />What is the "iso image"? and where should I down load it to so that I can burn it. Then what do I do with the original download when I'm done? Also, what does Knoppix have to do with linux? <br /><br />Sorry for all the probably obvious questions.

Xcusme

Commander

An iso 'file' is an image of the entire CD. It conatins all of the files needed to run the program. For example, you can have an 'iso' image of ,say, the Win2K installation CD.<br /><br />If you then run Nero (burning program) and tell Nero to burn an 'image (iso), steer Nero to the file you d/l'd and hit burn. Nero will burn the image to the blank CD. When finished, you'll have a bootable Knoppix CD. Knoppix, in simple terms , is a bootable version of Linux on a CDRom disc.<br />After you have burned the CD, you can delete the iso file off of your hard drive. If you want another copy of Knoppix, just run Nero and tell it you want to 'Copy a CD', insert original Knoppix and a blank CD and hit burn.<br /><br />Here's the link to the 'iso' for Knoppix. It's about a 700K download.<br /><br />WebPage: WebSite

SpinnerBait_Nut

I have one of them Knoppix cds.<br />You mean I can run an OS just off the cd?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Xcuseme, I'll ask because I suspect this is what we're all afraid of (I am)- will it do something to our current operating system (MS) that will affect it if we chose to stop using linux?<br /><br />Aldo

SpinnerBait_Nut

Hey Aldo, me thinks you just run off the cd. You are not installing it onto your hard drive if I am reading all this right.<br />When your done, just take the cd out.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Hey Aldo, wait for someone else to verify that, lord knows don't take my word for it.<br />I have the cd, but have not used it yet.

Dunaruna

Admiral

I'm just sitting on the sidelines waiting for you to do it first. ;)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> I'm just sitting on the sidelines waiting for you to do it first. ;)
Oh, I see how you are now. :D <br />No, you go ahead and let us know, errrrrrr, if you can. :p

Xcusme

Commander

Nope, no damage to your existing setup. Boot cd and run it. My last post was done with the Auditor-Knoppix version. Basically it's the same version as mentioned in my links above, except, my version is geared more for users with wireless cards and has utilities for networking forensics.<br /><br />There is a file manager on your version (like Windows Explorer) and you can do file copying ect if you want to.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Thanks X, I'm pretty gun shy about loading anything these days, its so damn hard keeping this pile of wires running well. <br /><br />Aldo

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

MinuteMan Boomyal to the rescue!<br />I'm downloading as I speak. When finished I'll burn it to a CD and have a go at it. As Xcusme said, just have to set your bios to look at your CD first, in the boot sequence. Pop in the CD and hold onto your seat.<br /><br />It'll boot right into Linux from the CD and I'll be off and exploring.<br /><br />To get out, shut down computer, pull the CD, reboot right back into windows.<br /><br />I'll keep ya'll posted. I think Xcuseme goes to bed early. Any questions I ask him this time of night usually don't get answered till the next day.<br /><br />PS. this is a slow download, 700 mb in size. I wouldn't try doing this on dial up!