file transfer

mattttt25

Commander
need some help. my cousin has a laptop with lots of music files on it. i also have a laptop and want to transfer his files to mine. what is the easiest/fastest way to do this? i'd rather not copy onto cd's and transfer over. can we connect them together via a usb connection or something like that? thanks-

rwise

Captain
Re: file transfer

do they have network cards? if they do just network them together, set static ip's, (give both the same workgroup) set sharing (at least on the folder that contains the file/s to be shared) and you should be ready to go! (sometimes you need to reboot both systems for it to work)<br />I'm sure someone else will have thoughts on this also!

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Memory sticks work great for moving files. Best Buy has 256 mb sticks starting around $50. Works fast like a hard drive which is what your computer sees it as.<br />edit - They plug in the USB port and are quite small. I keep one on my key chain and move stuff back and forth from work to home.

Xcusme

Commander

Yup, it can be done, and it's easy. You can go with a direct connection, laptop to laptop using a cross-over Cat5 cable. There's a USB version of the cable too. There's a lot a ways to do what you want.<br /><br />If you have a router, or switch, and RJ45 Lan connectors on the laptops, you can connect them to the router using straight thru Cat5 patch cables and follow rwise's suggestions. <br /><br />Here's a link to get you started...<br /> DCC Stuff<br /><br />A Google search for "direct connection 2 computers" for more options.

mattttt25

Commander

thanks fellas. i'm still lost, but think i can figure it out. we can both connect to a router, just not sure how to build a network and have the computers talk. the memory stick would be easy, but i'm trying to transfer over 5 gig of info and the stick would take some time. if anyone has specific info on what to do after we're plugged into the router, would be appreciated. i can get around windows, just need to know what to do.

18rabbit

Captain

I think what you are looking for (and others have mentioned) is called a P2P or Peer-To-Peer network. It is simple to configure, uses 2 computers only, directly connected with that CAT5 crossover (swapped xt/rv) mentioned above.

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its pretty straightforward to connect via a router.<br />I am presuming that you are both plugged into different ports on the router using two cat5 cables. <br />There should be two green lights on the router corresponding to the two plugs.<br /><br />The basics of how to set it up (for windows 98 or ME anyway) are:<br /><br />Right click on Network Neighbourhood.<br />On the first tab, you hopefully should see a thing on the list like:<br />TCP/IP -> (Name of your network card)<br />Highlight it and go to properties.<br />Set it to automatically assign an IP.<br />OK it<br />Highlight File and Printer sharing and go to properties. Put ticks in the two boxes there.<br />On the Identification Tab, you need to have the SAME workgroup name (usually the word WORKGROUP). This is important.<br />Then ok it and it'll probably ask u to restart your pc. After that, double click on my computer, right click on your c drive, go to sharing, select the "shared as" option, click FULL and OK.<br /><br />Then its only a matter of double clicking on network neighbourhood, doubleclick on the workgroup name, then double click on the other computer's name and you should find the c drive.<br />Then copy and paste your files.<br /><br />Windows XP is even easier, it should detect the network automatically.

jimalsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you are both runningXP it's a snap.One other way is to burn a CD.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

It's situations like this that make me so happy I have my external DVD burner.<br />I can hook up to any computer with usb and back up all their Data,pictures, music, 4 gigs per DVD disk.I have done what mattttt25 needs for many people so for matttt25 we would use 1 DVD and 1 CD. <br /><br />They are real affordable I saw one for $99 the other day, I bought an internal DVD burner and the external case I think I paid $130 6 month's ago it works fantastic.