Dishwasher broke.... any thoughts?

ndemge

Commander
Have a 5 year old GE Nataulis Dish washer. El Cheapo model. It goes through all the cycles, sounds like everything working, but nothing gets clean. It has been getting progressivly worse on it's cleaning ability over the past year.<br /><br />Last night I went out and bought a new one and installed it, but I'd love to be able to fix this one and put it in the basement kitchen. Anyone know where to even look to start troubleshooting?<br /><br />If I can fix it for <$100 it's worth fixing, if not, I can get a new one for $200<br /><br />Bought a little nicer whirlpool as a replacement, $400 clams, better be nicer!

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: Dishwasher broke.... any thoughts?

Maybe the drain has a buildup that is not allowing water to go out? Might also consider hooking it upand putting a gallon of vinegar in it. Start it on hottest setting and let it run its course. My thinking is maybe a build up on this isde also and the vinegar should cut it.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Check that the arm is spinning and that it isn't clogged up. I've seen the holes in the arm get full of stuff. Sometimes there are filters to catch crud that might be blocking flow.<br />Try this website for troubleshooting & parts. http://www.repairclinic.com/0080.asp

one more cast

Captain

here is what the manual says....<br /> 1) Inlet water temp. below 120 degrees.<br /> 2) Low water pressure<br /> 3)Air gap is clogged<br /> 4)improper rack loading<br /> This doesn't sound like much help. I would look at maybe plugged or restricted water passages.

ndemge

Commander

Thanks everyone... will tear into it and give it a good cleaning. <br /><br />OMC.... inlet water temp below 120.. it cares?

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Check the pump for inlet/outlet obstructions.

ndemge

Commander

omc... just read that site, notice it mention that if it's not hot enough, just like any cleaning, wont' do as good a job.<br /><br />Sounds like I've got another thing to add to the project list... will take care of soon befoer whatever IS clogg'n this thing up gets all dried out

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

You might be a redneck if......<br /><br />You think loading the dishwasher means getting your wife drunk. :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I vote for partially clogged drain. Should be easy to check. Take out the racks and unscrew the bottom assembly. A partially clogged drain keeps a lot of flotsom and jetsam inside the tub. It just keeps flinging it around then leaves it all over the dishes when it dries.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Just when through that last year with my GE Potscrubber from 1992. Runs but dishes are dirty. Seems to pump water. Pull washer out from under cabinet (remove two screws holding it to counter top) disconnect water and electric. Put the machine on the kitchen table so it's easy to work on. Remove the motor and clean out the junk blocking the impeller. will find all kind of stuff in there, twisites, bits and pieces of broken serving utensils, plastic wrap, etc.<br /><br />There is a replacement motor for about $97 and comes with a conversion kit. It is really their latest generation motor and impeller with adapters for every machine going back to 1970, because they are 95% identical motors.<br /><br />The upside is the new motor is much quieter, more powerful and uses less power. <br /><br />If you're handy, it should take less than two hours to install a new motor, and maybe an hour just to pull the machine and clean it.<br /><br />The reason the dishes are not getting clean is the pump can't move enough water to push the center cleaning arm up and spray water around inside. Also can't get a good spray coming from the top arm either. But it can pump the water out. Cleaning it restores these functions. A new motor makes it quiet. If you remove the strainer basket in the bottom, you may be able to get to some of the blockage, but I remember finding that clean, then finding all the junk after removing the motor. I ordered the replacement motor thinking the motor was shot. When I removed the old one to install the new one is when I found all the junk. But I put in the new motor anyway. <br /><br />Mark.<br /><br />EDIT:<br /><br />This is what I bought, but can't remember if from this guy or not.<br /> GE Dishwasher Motor Kit

Tyme2fish

Commander

Thanks for the link Ed. I just ordered a door latch assembly for my Fridigaire dishwasher. Shipping was only $6.95 which is cheaper than me driving all over town trying to find that part.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Originally posted by mrbscott19:<br /> You might be a redneck if......<br /><br />You think loading the dishwasher means getting your wife drunk. :D
:D :D <br />I read the topic and all I gotta say is <br />"Give her some money then"<br /><br />AK Chappy

i610288

Seaman Apprentice

The hotter the water, the easier it will be to get all of the junk off youre dishes.Just run the faucet untill the water get's hot enough and then turn on youre dishwasher.

18rabbit

Captain

Originally posted by ndemge:<br /> ... I'd love to be able to fix this one and put it in the basement kitchen.
You’re lucky. When ‘woman’ sends me to the doghouse I don’t have access to a kitchen.<br /> :D

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Aother site that has a forum board where an expert repairman answers specific questions. You can browse the forum for free. <br /><br /> http://members5.boardhost.com/repairman/index.html?1046756255 <br /><br />You can also join for $12 (lifetime) and get specific answers to your questions, right down to part numbers, some diagrams, etc. If there's a chance you'll be doing more than one fix on a major appliance well worth considering joining. <br /><br />To me it was a great investment. (they also sell parts, but will give you parts numbers and you can get em from them or elsewhere).<br /><br /> http://thisoldappliance.com/forum/

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

My old portable had the same problems. Try this. Use a huge pan or watering can with hot water. Fill the dishwasher manually then run it. When ever you hear it drain fill it again with hot water. If when the dishes are done and they are clean your dishwasher is not getting enough water supply to do the job. It could be the lines are partially plugged or your water pressure is low. In mine there was a rubber washer with a small hole. I enlarged the hole slightly and it worked fine after that.