mildew stains

plmbr

Seaman Apprentice
Goodday;I am looking for any "help" on how to remove the mildew stain and black spots off the material side of the vinyl canvas in my pop up camper

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: mildew stains

Moving to Non-boating Tech.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

plmbr........<br /><br />I use bathroom mildew remover. I use it on tile, fiberglass, glass, my bimini top, etc. It is quite stong so use it outside, or at least in a well ventilated area. It comes in spray bottles, so it it quite easy to apply and then hose it off with water, or with a wet cloth, such on your material.<br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Bleach! Kills it instantly but might also bleach out the fabric. Works great on vinyl.<br /><br />Bob

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br /> Bleach! Kills it instantly but might also bleach out the fabric. Works great on vinyl.<br /><br />Bob
Same here but the same warning. Another nice thing about bleach is that it is made from salt and when deluted with water it turns back into salt again. Nature friendly!<br /><br />Had to do some research on this a few years ago while working on a tree huggers house. She wanted the mold killed but flipped out when she found out we were going to use bleach.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sugar soap!<br /> I don't know what it's called over there but the shop would know what you're talking about. There's no bleach and it'll not stain any paint work or material. I love the stuff. It eats mildew!<br />Ross

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you think there will be a problem with the bleaching agent returning to salt after the rinse, why not add a small percentage of vinegar to the rinse water?<br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I love to use bleach and if you go that route,make sure the area is wet with water first and then spray with bleach.The mildew will disappear almost instantly.As soon as it does make sure you rinse everything well and then rinse it again.You want all the bleach out,especially on the threads.Dont use ultra bleach--too strong. A good alternative is vinegar,dont dilute and saturate it at night and let it sit until morning and then rinse.You want to do it at night so it does not dry,you want it to stay wet with vinegar because it take a while to work.Charlie