cars into trailers

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class
alright, i know many of you laughed and rolled your eyes, but that's ok. so did I. Anyway...<br /><br />My stepson saw someone on his forums (vwvortex, i guess) who built this trailer below from a VW Golf. <br />
see.jpg
<br />He wants to do the same thing to match his Jetta. We have a Golf that we have scavenged all sorts of parts from for his Jetta, leaving really just a shell of the vehicle. I would be happy for him to be able to put the rest of the car to use, even if it is just to make some sort of portable tailgate device/luggage carrier. Knowing that you all are skilled in the ways of welding, repair (and disrepair :D ), etc. and guessing that there is a least a couple of you who have done this before, I humbly submit this for your commentary, jokes, and advice.<br /><br />As always, <br />THANKS<br /><br />ON

ndemge

Commander
Re: cars into trailers

I say.. DO IT!<br /><br />www.vannin.com you will find pictures of Full size Van's turned into trailers to match the tow vehicle.<br /><br />It's a great Idea! Just build it to the specs you would build a normal trailer, keeping weight distribution in mind. You could also use an electric over Hydraulic brake control unit to put brakes on the trailer. With that small of a tow vehicle, I'd definitly want brakes working on the trailer.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks n,<br />I was thinking that he probably wouldn't need brakes because the trailer would be so light, but of course you make a good point about the tow vehicle. :D

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Well, joke or not, I think it looks pretty neat. A lot better than a pickup rear end being towed by another pickup, like you see around here.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Somebody did it with an RX-7 recently. Good webpage with some details. <br /><br /> http://www.rx-sevenandahalf.com/ <br /><br />I have also seen and MR-2 that was made into a trailer.<br /><br />These make cool trailers to cart race tires around with.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by RotaryRacer:<br /> Somebody did it with an RX-7 recently. Good webpage with some details. <br /><br /> http://www.rx-sevenandahalf.com/
Beautiful, Rotary! That's what we were looking for. I googled some, but didn't get that kind of result. <br /><br />I think he is interested in putting in a stereo and that kind of thing, making it a tailgate wagon for football games and such. Something to impress the VW crowd (which seems surprisingly large to me, but what do I know?).

ndemge

Commander

that RX is pretty cool. They used the Fuel tank in the toad.That's cool, but not cool if your the fireman coming up on that crash scene and not expect it to have fuel in it.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

When I had my 69 IH Scout, I wanted to find another one and do that same trailer deal. Its still a unique enough thing to do, so go for it...

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

has any one actually done this here? just curious. <br /><br />^^humble bump^^

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I seen one that kinda fits this catagory today. It was a Honda trike. The back half was made from a chevy cavalir(sp). They cut the front clip right behind the wheels and attatched it to the bike. On top of that (and what made it REALLY NEAT) was they cut the trunk section off the car and fitted it to the front clip. It looked just like a car without a center section with a motor cycle halfway through the frontend. I sure wish I could have took a picture.