Why 2 Sizes of Propane??

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am sure someone knows the answer to this, cuz I cant find it anywhere. All my camping equipment that is powered by Propane (stove, lantern, etc.) all use the 16oz squatty fat tanks. I just received a portable propane BBQ Grill to complete my collection, and it uses the long skinny 14 oz. that most often are used to power torches and the like. Why are there 2 different types/sizes and what determines which one is used for what??? Thank you in advance for helping me free a section of brain to use for more productive figgerin!!

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Why 2 Sizes of Propane??

No differance in propane. Just the container shape. Both have the same fitting. So... Go figure.

ndemge

Commander

I use a berzo-matic torch for lighting fireworks, but I use coleman camping propane, as those tanks are cheaper than the long blue berzo-'s

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Right, the short squatty 16 0z are much cheaper than the 14oz bernzo-matics. There has to be a reason of some sort, even if it is just to get me to pay more!

bh357

Chief Petty Officer

I've used the short squat tanks on my bernz-o-matic torch. A little hard to hold in your hand. That's the only reason I can think of for the skinny torches, easier to hold onto when working.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I think the skinny tanks were the original size. The higher volume, fatter tanks came later. They are a little bit harder to wrap your hand around but I've used them exclusively for plumbing work with no difficulty. They are much more stable when you set them down due to their larger diameter. I have a few skinny ones sitting around and they never get used.<br /><br />I also use the torches for lighting fireworks. That is until the whiners get them banned here.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you ever try to get one of those skinny tanks to stay upright when powering a lantern?<br /><br />That's why the fatty tanks came along. (I think. :) )

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok JB, Ill buy that. Makes sense to me. Now if someone can tell us why the 14 oz skinny costs about a buck and a quarter more than the 16oz fatty!? :confused:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Ralphy:<br /> Ok JB, Ill buy that. Makes sense to me. Now if someone can tell us why the 14 oz skinny costs about a buck and a quarter more than the 16oz fatty!? :confused:
It's called 'Volume'. The same reason that .22 LR cartridges cost less than the smaller .22 shorts.

Bondo

Staff member

I bought 1 of those adpter fittings,+ Refill used tanks from a 20lber..............<br />Works great for the 1st 8 or 10 tanks.....<br />Then it's time to put the 20lber back on the Grill.......<br />$6.00 a 20lber,<br />Fill 10, 1lbers,<br />And Power the Grill all summer.......<br />That $15.00 fitting was Paid For, A Long Time Ago.......

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Why not use a 20# tank with a coleman distribution tree.<br />Run everything off of one tank, tree, and a couple hoses.<br />Kind of hard to take the lantern on a walk, but thats what flashlights are for.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />
The same reason that .22 LR cartridges cost less than the smaller .22 shorts.
When we were kids, the 22 shorts actually cost less, if I remember right, the shorts were 35 cents a box, and the longs were about 45 cents and the long rifles were about 55 cents. You know, 22 shells have remained relativly cheap over the years. I allways used to ask for 22 shells for my birthday and Christmas. I bet I couldnt lift all the lead I shot up as a kid.

SoulWinner

Commander

The short fat ones provide more bang for the buck when you throw them in a fire. Just make sure you have fox hole dug to crawl into before the valve lets go and the tank goes boom!!!

Link

Rear Admiral

LOL with this post.<br />I "think" JB got right though.<br />roscoe: was ofcourse was practical<br />SoulWinner: Is trying to get them souls he won into heaven before they mess up again ;) <br /><br />LubeDude: Your narking our age group! BTW I recieved a box (Apple crate size) full of 22 cal (single boxes) from the 40's to the 60's when my father in law died. with price tags from 00.15 to 00.55 and they a collectible now. $4.00 - $20.00 a box now! Go figure :confused:

ndemge

Commander

can't fill the small bottles with the new opd valves..... all you can get is vapor into them, will work for a bit, but with no liquid, no longterm gas.

Bondo

Staff member

Hadn't Thought of That.........<br />Haven't needed to stock up.......<br />Might have to use a 100lber...... :D <br />They Don't have the OPDs........

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Bondo:<br /> <br />Might have to use a 100lber...... :D <br />They Don't have the OPDs........
If I'm not mistaken Bondo, I saw the new valves on the 100 lbr's, just recently, at Home Depot. I bought one to power my kitchen range top well after they had put the new valves on the smaller tanks. It still had the old style valve. I wondered if they would still fill the 100 lbr for me. So far no problems.<br /><br />*****BE SURE TO REFRIDGERATE YOUR DISPOSABLES BEFORE YOU TRY TO REFILL THEM. THEY WILL TAKE CONSIDERABLY MORE GAS*****

ZmOz

Captain

How new are the valves that don't work? I've been wanting to get the adapter to refil my little tanks, but my bulk tank is pretty new...

Bondo

Staff member

*****BE SURE TO REFRIDGERATE YOUR DISPOSABLES BEFORE YOU TRY TO REFILL THEM. THEY WILL TAKE CONSIDERABLY MORE GAS*****
Ayah,<br />I always popped them into the Freezer a day or so before filling......<br />
How new are the valves that don't work? I've been wanting to get the adapter to refil my little tanks, but my bulk tank is pretty new...
OPDs have been around for a few years,+ are Mandatory starting this year I believe.... Might have been last year.....<br />They are easy to tell apart.... <br />The OPDs have a Triangler shaped knob on the valve.....<br />And, when the valve is opened, with Nothing Attached, Nothing comes out.....(Spring-loaded Check-valve)<br /><br />I've got several 100lbers still in use,+ they Don't have OPDs.....???<br />The Trick is going to be Inverting Them....... :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Bondo:<br /> [QUOTE I've got several 100lbers still in use,+ they Don't have OPDs.....???<br />The Trick is going to be Inverting Them....... :D
Bondo, securely strap the tank to a dolly and run it up as steep an incline as you feel safe, then lay the dolly down, handle downhill. You don't need to get the tank totally inverted.