power sailer?

Craig Feuerzeig

Recruit
Any information or comments about a 1985 Lancer 27' power-sailer. It's a sailboat with a 90 hp. Johnson on the back.Probably not a great sailboat, not a great power boat, but sounds like fun though, huh? Should I buy it? I know nothing about boats.

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: power sailer?

Are you looking for a power boat or a sailboat? It is of course impossible to answer your question without knowing what you are looking for, what shape this is in, how you plan to use it, etc.<br /><br />Do you have any experience with sailing?

flashback

Captain

Craig, you say you know nothing about boats, but you answered your own question. At first you would most likely enjoy the novelty of it, but no 27ft sailboat is going to drag around a 90hp outboard and still be fun to sail. by the same token, you may be able to get a skier up, but don't cut any sharp turns............if the price is right, it will be fun for a while.......

Craig Feuerzeig

Recruit

I would prefer a sailboat, as I would get bored quickly with a motor boat. I can see where it would be nice to havea big motor, however. I Used to sail hobie cats and sunfish as a kid, but...<br /><br />It's in good shape, needs cleaning, cosmetics but that's ok.<br /><br />I realize that it won't sail great, but as I have no point of reference, do I care and if so how much. Is it worth the trade off just to toil about on the water on a nice day. I'm not looking to win any speed races(although with a 90 hp motor...)<br /><br /> The price seems right. The question is when will I regret this purchase and then for how long?<br /><br />Thanks for the insight.

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't know much about this particular boat, but I doubt you would pull very many skiers with a 90 hp on a 27 foot boat.<br /><br />OTOH, you would be buying a powerboat that has a sail on it...not a sail boat.<br /><br />If you are looking to sail, this is not the boat, IMO.<br /><br />But everyone is different, and enjoys different things. My experience is to first figure out what boating you want to do, what you can afford, where you are going to moor it, or is it a trailer boat--what body of water you are going to use it on, and what you like to do...all those personal questions only you can answer, and then try to match that with a boat that you can afford.<br /><br />My own personal opinion is that there is nothing that does all things well, and those craft that try tend to do nothing well. To me, that is unacceptable. But then that is me.

22WRF

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well lets see it's a keel boat with a 4' 3" Draft I would think water sking would be out.<br />I cost around $14,000 new. Weight is around 4600#<br /><br />Your buying a sail boat with a big Aux. These also were made with stright drive inboard.<br />Stickly a displacement boat. So your looking at hull speed no matter how big the engine in other words if you can reach hull speed which is prob 10-12 kts with 15 Hp engine then a 90 won't push it any faaster

Sam15a

Recruit

Hull speed is theoretically 1.34 x SQRT(Length at the water line). If the LOA is 27 ft, chances are that LWL is about 22 ft. 1.34 x SQRT 22 = 6.28 knots. This can most likely be reached with an 8 HP engine. Carrying a 90 HP engine will entail both a lot of extra (uneeded) weight that will cause the boat to poorly on its lines and consume significantly more gas than an 8 HP engine. <br /><br />Now if the 90 HP engine is in terrific shape, you may be able to sell it for a good price, buy an 8 HP engine and have a better fit and perhaps a better deal.