1988 Pontiac Sunbird! ***Repair underway***

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Has anyone had any experience with these little disposable autos. Any opinions are welcome. I have a chance to obtain one, with 103k miles on it. The paint is dull but all there. The interior is clean. The engine compartment is a bit greeeeezy. It is an automatic but does not have all the electric bells and whistles. I does run without making a bunch of noise but I have not driven it yet.<br /><br />This would be for my sons first car. I can get it for the price of a newly intalled CD player ($200.00). It was in a fender bender and just needs the front left fender and maybe a bumper cover. All should be pretty cheap at the wrecking yard and it would give my son a chance to get his hands dirty. The rest of the body is straight and rust free.<br /><br />The car is not worth alot in 'good' condition but if we can slap on a junkyard fender and get a couple of reliable years out of it......<br /><br />My specific concern is whether the GM 4 banger and automatic, in general, are durable components at this mileage. Note, I said in general. There'd be no point in getting something for next to nothing and putting in a bit of sweat equity if there was a high probability that the motor or trans was statistically ready to head south.<br /><br />
021038.jpg

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 Pontiac Sunbird! ***Repair underway***

If a test drive shows no major problems with the engine/tranny it would make an inexpensive car for your son to cut his teeth on. If all else fails you could re-sell the CD player and get some of your money back. Think back to your first car, if you were like me you beat the living h-ell out of it, so, the car may spend more time on a jack than on the road. ;) My kids first cars were also el-cheapo near junkers, they were handed to them with a warning, if you kill it, you walk, the cars lasted for years.

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had an older Sunbird. It had the cast iron bock rather then the aluminum. I think they used to call it the old "Iron Duke"? Anyway I ran that car to death as a work beater. I never did anything but change the oil, and put gas in it. One of the few cars I have had in my life that I can honestly say I came out ahead, and got my moneys worth!

one more cast

Captain

I would check for a clicking noise when turning full left or full right while moving ( CV joints) and inspect the CV boots,turn full left and right while in park to see if it stalls (rack & pinoin),and watch the temp gauge for a steady and stable raise to normal and no white smoke (head or head gasket).

LubeDude

Admiral

Just check the regular things out, (which Im sure you are capable of doing), If it doesnt have a bunch of goo under the oil cap, and the trans shifts good and strong, Its a deal.<br /><br />I applaud you for not buying your son a new car, even if you could afford it. I personally think giving kids new cars for graduation is one of the dumbest things I ever heard of. Ranks right in there with paying for there college aducation. Sure you can help them some, but they should contribute.<br /><br />Why do I say that?<br /><br />Because my folks wanted me to go to business college and I wanted to go to a Tech School. They said they would pay for all of it if I went to a business college. Hey, Im no dummy, I partied untill I got sick, My grades suffered, and I got drafted. Had I been involved in paying for the schooling you can bet your a8s I would have spent my money studying, and wouldnt have had time to party, I would have had to work part time. Just babbling.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> I applaud you for not buying your son a new car, even if you could afford it.
LD, I pay half, he pays half, just like for his older sister. If it breaks, he fixes it. If it needs brakes, L&O, he does it. I've told him I will help by teaching him but he has to come and ask and he'll have to do the work. His sister I cut a little slack on the repair stuff. Girl's are different, you know.<br /><br />Also told him if he wrecks it, he's walking. No second chance here. He's a good boy so I don't anticipate any purposefull goofing off, just that he can display a little lack of concentration and focus sometimes.<br /><br />My primary concern, for this post, was simply a question of general durability of these GM cars. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Toyota with 103K on it but I don't think I'm gonna find one of those for the price of the new CD player :(

LubeDude

Admiral

You are a real Dad Boobyal. :D

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

My best friend had that same type of car in highschool. He is a real idiot when it comes to cars. He never changed the oil coolant nuthin! The car always got him where he was going. the only thing that went bad on the car was the heater core. He sold it to his 17 year old brotherinlaw after putting over 100,000 mean, nasty, cruel, only add oil if the light comes on miles.<br />Oh if that car could talk.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> You are a real Dad, Boomyal. :D
Just tough love L'dude. Just what you'd expect from one of those right wing conservatives :p

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by bluewater19:<br /> My best friend had that same type of car in highschool. He is a real idiot when it comes to cars. He never changed the oil coolant nuthin! The car always got him where he was going. the only thing that went bad on the car was the heater core. He sold it to his 17 year old brotherinlaw after putting over 100,000 mean, nasty, cruel, only add oil if the light comes on miles.<br />Oh if that car could talk.
That's a pretty good testimonial for the little unit. Don't think this one has been ridden that hard. I did look underneath to make sure the outer CV joint boots were intact.<br /><br />Tomorrow will be the day that I go or no go on the bird.

11 footer

Lieutenant

As a new auto body student at a tech highschool, I'm looking at the damige in the picture.<br /><br />From my mear three weeks in shop (keep in mind I'm your son's age) it looks to me like the whole nose is going to have to come off repair that, which sounds eazy untill you go to so it, keep that in mind.

LubeDude

Admiral

As an old hand at the game, I would say that there is going to be some damage that you dont see. Looks like a good "back yard job though". Dosnt look like the front is swayed though. You might want to look really close at the hood alignment. If it is square, you are ok. If not you will have to have it pulled over by a frame shop. Could cost 2-500 dollars.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Hmmm! at last, a critical eye! Hey Ryan, you've been around this site long enough to know that tearin things apart is half the fun. Isn't it??? :D <br /><br />Yeah, I figured as much. The vinyl nose cover is probably salvageable. It's creased but not torn. That's what they make heat guns for. It appears that the collision rode up over the actual bumper bar and smacked the outer side of the headlight assy. <br /><br />It'll be a good lesson for young son to know what is involved if he should have the inclination to not pay attention while driving. I'll sit back, with iced tea in hand and say "that bolt, now this bolt, now pry here etc etc etc"

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> As an old hand at the game, I would say that there is going to be some damage that you dont see. Looks like a good "back yard job though". Dosnt look like the front is swayed though. You might want to look really close at the hood alignment. If it is square, you are ok. If not you will have to have it pulled over by a frame shop. Could cost 2-500 dollars.
The hood is square L'Dude. That was one of the first things that I scoped out. Additionally there appears to be no damage to the front radiator panel as all looks square with the hood open. At maximum I may have to hook a chain to the trailer hitch on my Suburban and give the front inner sheetmetal a little yank. Hopefully.

11 footer

Lieutenant

From the looks of the damige, it dosn't look like the car hit something, it looks like something hit the car.<br /><br />Funny story:<br />My dads friend gave his son a Taurus a few years ago to drive, his son was about 17 at the time. He came home one night with the drivers side all smashed in. <br />he go's inside and tells his dad whos been a body man for 30years "someone hit me" his dad comes out and look at the car and replys "with what, a tree?" :D :D <br /><br />Then he had to tell him the truth, he slid off the road and sideswiped a tree. He picked the wrong person to try to pull that one over on ;) I thought it was a funny storey.

dhud64

Petty Officer 1st Class

As BIXLL said if it's got the old 'iron duke' motor, that's a good motor. I think it's 2.5 litre?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Its a decent A to B car, nothing special. Not fast enough to kill himself with. The Iron Duke was an okay motor (the true Iron Duke had cast iron head and block, I'm fairly certain this car has aluminum head and possible TBI fuel injection), just be thankful it doesn't have the 2.8 V6, a horrible wretched motor, guaranteed to throw a rod or your mony back. I wouldn't even worry about the cosmetics, let him deal with it.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

if its an iron duke its a great motor will probally sound like it has a rod knocking but don't worry about it. if it has a 1.8 or 2.0 they are prone to overheating and head/gasket problems.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by jimr:<br /> if its an iron duke its a great motor will probally sound like it has a rod knocking but don't worry about it. if it has a 1.8 or 2.0 they are prone to overheating and head/gasket problems.
It is a 1.8L. Do you know anything about the 2.3L 4 banger? (90's)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

As of 7:30 this evening, it is a done deal. The owner's father came by and said his daughter accepted the deal. Now we get to test our auto body skills.<br /><br />Oh boy! just what I need. Another project on top of the boat restoration. I guess some are just gluttons for punishment.<br /><br />Anyway, thanks all, for your input. I'll post pics when it is put back together again.