nitrogen inflation

flashback

Captain
just a quick question, I was driving down the road the other day and saw a tire store that had a billboard out front claiming "nitrogen inflation". Does this mean they inflate the tires with nitrogen gas? If so, why, we have filled tires with air forever? I realize nitrogen is a very dry gas, but what does that have to do with tires.............

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: nitrogen inflation

Flying cars maybe? :eek: <br />OOOPS, brain dead moment, I was thinking helium!

ZmOz

Captain

I would assume it means the tires would be full of nitrogen. If it does have any benefits, they are very small. It's just an advertising thing...in fact that's a pretty good idea advertising wise. :) Alot of offroaders take tanks of nitrogen or CO2 with them to fill tires in the middle of nowhere...

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Hello, We use nitrogen exclusively where I work to fill all of the traction wheels on an airport monorail. The clearance between the bottom of the train and the running surface of the guideway is critical. If we used plain air the pressures would fluctuate too much causing the train to run lopsided, bumpy and not be on an even keel from one car to the next. This could cause the train to scrape the guideway when in motion. It also is a much drier gas as compared to air. This causes no rust on the inside of our expensive run flat style rims. The only benefit I could see is more stable tire pressures on your car. But if your car isn't a monorail running 24/7 around an airport than why go through the expense? Air is free! :D

Dunaruna

Admiral

I've seen tech bulletins claiming that pressure flutuations are greatly reduced if not elliminated and it doesn't 'seep' out like air.<br /><br />Local service station charging $10.00 ($15.00 U.S?) a tyre near me.<br /><br />I suppose it has its applications.<br /><br />Aldo

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Nitrogen is also inert. It won't oxidize. If you are going to put your car in a museum, you'd want to use it.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Nitrogen is a larger molecule than air. It is less likely to leak out than good old air, and tires can with the temperature changes in summer I would imagine allow air, over long periods of time, to permeate through the tire or inner tube. All hydropneumatic tank manufactures utilize nitrogen in their precharge's. Expansion rates are somewhat less as well. (Temp related)<br /><br />Nuts, guts, and feathers, go with air for free. :)

Trent

Captain

Also with the "paintball" craze people use N2 in their paintball guns (some of them,others use CO2). Wonder if they fill paintball gun tanks their?

flashback

Captain

Thanks for the info guys, I learned more about nitrogen then I ever thought... Think I'll stick with good old air, unless I get into the paintball thing. :) :)

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

One more thing, NASCAR uses nitrogen in the tires also, for the same reasons stated here, more stable and less pressure differences between cold and hot.<br /><br />Dave

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Nitrogen does not expand with heat. The concept of filling tires with nitrogen has proven advantages but the reality is that you cant pull a vacumm on a car tire to remove ALL the air from the space inside so there fore you have a mix of gases in the tire.<br />It is the portion of atmospheric gases that still expand as the tire case temp rises.<br /><br />Peter

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

If it does not expand with heat then it must not be compressible. And if not compressible then how in the world do they get so much of it in a tank??? ALL gasses expand when heated, & heat when compressed. Just that N2 can't oxidize anything, and might be marginally more consistent in race conditions. It IS air less the oxygen and other minor constituents. <br /><br />Air is:<br />Nitrogen 78.084% <br />Oxygen 20.947%<br />Argon 0.934%<br /> (99.998%)<br />The rest is stuff like CO2,neon,helium,etc. all measured in parts per million.<br />Nitrogen is pretty neutral, but can cause embrittlement of metals in certain circumstances.<br /><br />Anything exposed to incredible heat can benefit, but I don't fly SR-71 spyplanes or space shuttles, nor do I strive for land speed records at Bonneville. For an ordinary auto it amounts to another useless gimmick that someone is hoping to make money off of. Can't blame 'em for trying, though.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

For racing purposes it is used for its lack of moisture. If I am running regular air and I start off with 15 lbs in my right front by the end of the race I have pretty close to 20 lbs. Each and every pound of air effects the way a car handles. With nitrogen we could set out pressures within 1 pound or so of the desired rate. It just doesn't grow as much as regular air. Now as for a street car- Waste of money IMHO