what lawn tractor to buy?( 1 year update)

Ron G

Commander
Re: what lawn tractor to buy?( 1 year update)

the parents bought some gator blades for there craftsman last week,try a lawnmower shop or ask professional grass moweres were to get them.

Ralph 123

Captain

I have basically the same mower - had it for about 5 years now. I do my house and put it on the pcikup and do my mothers and sometimes friends.<br /><br />I haven't had a problem with the blades bending at all. I'm not using the split tails though. I am using the standard ones Sears stock by the hundreds and put unpackaged on a shelf. There are usually about a dozen or so "standard" blades they sell this way for their tractors. They are so thick I can't imagine them bending even if I squarely hit a good sized rock. <br /><br />I keep 2 sets, one on and one sharpened ready to be put on and I sawp back and forth about every 15 hours.<br /><br />edit: I found them on their website:<br /><br />
<br /><br />search for Sears item #07124757000 Mfr. model #24757

one more cast

Captain

They are the blades that got me through last last summer Ralph but did get bent this year.When they bend its not just a little either.With 22 horses turning them they bend a lot.I admit I use this thing like a bush hog but no different then I used my old mower. I just ordered a set of gaters @ $37.40 but was told they are flat blades, much heavier and will be here in 2-3 days.

Ralph 123

Captain

I have the Craftsman 25 hp B&S twin and haven't managed to do more than put a nick in one of those blades. You must be beating the crap out of that tractor! ;) <br /><br />Let me know how you like the Gators. If they are that much better I may try them

one more cast

Captain

Ralph, my blades were different then yours.Here is a side by side comparison of the gator and craftsman HD blades. The gater is wider and .015" thicker. I tried them out tonight and they seemed to work ok but hard to tell because the grass was getting tall. I did notice that on the sandy section there wasn't as much dust kicked up. The gator people told me they worked well in sandy areas.Must not have as much lift? Well anyway, so far so good but I didn't hit anything...YET.<br /> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/onemorecast/blades.jpg

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class

I purchased a MTD mower from Walmart and used it the first time only to realize it was junk!<br />The bolts on the seat snapped , the front grill was all wrinkled up like it had been damaged (made that way)and all the switches are junk .I returned it!<br /> I went to sears and got a Craftsman LT1000 42" for about $900 on sale this Spring .I had to buy the deck wheels and a front bumper for for another $70 .<br />I like the craftsman!

Ralph 123

Captain

Deck weels? Do you mean the anti-scalping wheels? They come with it or are you talking about something else?<br /><br />I haven't seen those blades before OMC. If the Gator does not work out look for the blades I use. They also make a "premium" version that comes packaged that looks like it may be powder coated and possibly slightly thicker - they are gray.

txswinner

Banned

I have been a Sears guy my entire life. My 18 hp 42" bought 3 years ago is a piece of garbage, cuts uneven, steering already loose and takend to Sears numerous time and no help, last time they put on new blades and really butchered my lawn, they were upside down. The Sears 3 wheeled edger is a safety hazard. Avoid at all cost. The wield at the blade breaks and the cutting blade is loose. Has happened three times and they will rplace the part but local store says loaded with breaks on this unit. They refused to refund my money. No more sears for me.<br /><br />OMC interested in a used Sears 18 hp 42 inch, new blades in like new condition, always garaged???

one more cast

Captain

"OMC interested in a used Sears 18 hp 42 inch, new blades in like new condition, always garaged???" <br /> <br /> No thanks, I should have kept my old sears mower (I sold it for $30) and put a brand new motor on it.<br /> Its not just sears with the quailty issue. My 2002 Chevy just got safety recall #3. and has been in the shop more in three years then my '92 was in 10 years and my $50 mister coffee can't even get coffee from the pot to the cup without leaking all over the place. I wrote to Mr coffee and they sent me a new one....same problem.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have an older Sears tractor by AYP . 18hp Briggs opposed twin. So far, so good. I just put new belt on the mower deck. Its the 42 inch w/3 blades. Don't have a problem with bending blades. No rust. Replaced the front wheel sleeve bearings with ball bearings. Frame on this tractor is very heavy duty. Should last many more years.<br /><br />Maybe you can find one used?<br /><br />
Ph2005-04-1700091.jpg

Homerr

Commander

Mark,<br /><br />I have one of those old Sears Mowers that looks a lot like yours. The engine tossed a rod several years ago (12hp I think), and it wasn't cost effective to replace it.<br />I ended up piecing the engine on EBay.<br /><br />If you need parts, let me know!<br />homerr999 at msn.com<br /><br />I'd like to get rid of the whole thing (if you happen to be around Southern Oregon)<br /><br /><br />I ended up buying a new Troy-Built lawn tractor for $1299 from Lowes. It came with cruise control and an automatic transmission!<br /><br />I think most of these mowers are MTD anyway. Tear most of them to the frame, and they are all the same (IMO)<br /><br /><br />H.

one more cast

Captain

Mark, Your tractor looks a lot like the one I had also. It was a great tractor. I doubt my new sears mower will last half as long.