Where should I put mouse traps?

ZmOz

Captain
I'm really getting tired of the cat leaving half a mouse on my carpet. :eek: I bought some live mouse traps. What kind of areas should I put them in? I tried a dark area under my deck where food often falls...no mice there. I would think there are probably some under my house, but I'm not going under there every day to check the traps. I know the cat isn't getting them under there. Where do they like to hide? What kind of areas?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where should I put mouse traps?

My basement, my backyard/field, my garage, my car, my motorcycle's air cleaner, under the birdfeeder.<br /><br />Place them along walls.

ebbtide176

Commander

tall grass, grain bins, chickenhouses. dumpsters

Link

Rear Admiral

Hi ZmOz<br />Try asking your cat! ;) <br />Your cat is bringing you presants! She/He wants you to be proud of them :eek: <br /><br />I should have used a display name as MouseMan! As I know a thing or two about mice We raised wild mice (some call them Shurs (sp) or field mice) in the house for a couple years. Dont Ask! :) <br /><br />A few things I learned about wild mice.<br /> <br />1: They are really cute and dont mind sitting in your lap and being hand fed.<br />2: They are propelled by poop! One poop equales one jerk forward etc etc. Which gives them the jerky motions.<br />3:When trapped alive in a cage the Biggest Male will kill and eat the smaller males.<br />4:Before Startrecks Janeway they are the Earths BORGE! They will destroy anything in their path to keep their species going.<br />They can and are quite creative <br /><br />Don't worrey if you cant figure out where they live. (it helps if you know their last known exit place) <br /><br />Besides meeting and making more mice they go out every day/night for three things. Food, water and more bedding material.<br />Since you are not finding them in or around your house this is good. Try baiting them. Any out buildings, wood sheds, old cars etc in the area away from the house? If not pick a place (far) from your house and set out dry dog or cat food. Yes it will get cleaned out by other animals but the mice will find it too. Keep refilling the bowel for a couple weeks. By that time every mouse in the area will know where its at.<br /><br />Then put your live traps out with the same food. <br /><br />This is why live traps work with mice. They are sociable (sp) creatures. When one is in trouble they will all come out to help. And fall into or go into the same trap. <br /><br />We had a 3ft X 3ft X 3ft open habitat set up in the corner of the front room with a constant food and water source in it. I modified the door to be a one way trap.. Many times (mostly to prove to friends) I would shut the one way door with just one mouse in the habitat and in a few hours we would have 15-30 mice crawling on the outside of the cage looking for a way out!<br />Then by morning 5am we would send 30 mice to buss out to the local park... they are not too smart! <br /><br />I hope you didnt get the wind up kind of live traps as you will be diappionted with them. Or at least the "Ketch-All" multiple catch mousetrap. Made by Kness in Albia Iowa.<br /><br />They not only slam dunk the mice but trap their tails, and these little mice will squeal like little childern.. Cry like human babies.. then if another mouse is trapped it will tear their tail off... pretty cruel.. I destroyed mine... and use only my own live traps now. <br />Have bussed over two hundred mice to the local park. :) :)

SoulWinner

Commander

Take a five gallon bucket and cut or drill holes in it that a mouse can get through. Bait the trap and put the bucket over the top of it with a heavey brick or something on top of the bucket. That way you get the mouse and the cat doesn't. This is real handy if you use poison, cause the pets can't get to it......well ....most of the time