How can my speedometer be off and not the odometer?

ZmOz

Captain
The speedometer in my Cherokee is about 3mph slow compared to my GPS. I left the GPS running for a while and compared the odometer to it. They're exactly the same. How could my odometer possibly be right on if the speed isn't???? :confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How can my speedometer be off and not the odometer?

The odometer is mechanically or digitally driven. The speedo is an analog display, magnetically coupled and non-linear.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Have you measured your speed with mileage markers on highways? The government scrambles GPS signals so that they are not accurate. I have seen mine fluctuate two or three miles per hour when truck is on cruise control on straight highways. The government scrambles commercial GPS so people cant use them to guide a missle or an airplane into a target with any accuracy.

ZmOz

Captain

Ummm...no. GPS's are extremely accurate. The government USED to not allow very much accuracy. Now GPS's are avilable that are accurate to within 9 feet. If you really want to spend the money you can get one that is accurate to within inches. Your speed will fluctuate in cruise control because the ground is not perfectly flat, and the road surface is not perfectly even.

JB

Even when the error is allowed, GPS error stays the same, so GPS speed is more accurate than any other method, including radar.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

This was cut and pasted<br />Standard Positioning Service (SPS)<br />Civil users worldwide use the SPS without charge or restrictions. Most receivers are capable of receiving and using the SPS signal. The SPS accuracy is intentionally degraded by the DOD by the use of Selective Availability. <br />SPS Predictable Accuracy <br />100 meter horizontal accuracy <br />156 meter vertical accuracy <br />340 nanoseconds time accuracy <br />These GPS accuracy figures are from the 1999 Federal Radionavigation Plan. The figures are 95% accuracies, and express the value of two standard deviations of radial error from the actual antenna position to an ensemble of position estimates made under specified satellite elevation angle (five degrees) and PDOP (less than six) conditions. <br />For horizontal accuracy figures 95% is the equivalent of 2drms (two-distance root-mean-squared), or twice the radial error standard deviation. For vertical and time errors 95% is the value of two-standard deviations of vertical error or time error. <br />Receiver manufacturers may use other accuracy measures. Root-mean-square (RMS) error is the value of one standard deviation (68%) of the error in one, two or three dimensions. Circular Error Probable (CEP) is the value of the radius of a circle, centered at the actual position that contains 50% of the position estimates. Spherical Error Probable (SEP) is the spherical equivalent of CEP, that is the radius of a sphere, centered at the actual position, that contains 50% of the three dimension position estimates. As opposed to 2drms, drms, or RMS figures, CEP and SEP are not affected by large blunder errors making them an overly optimistic accuracy measure <br />Some receiver specification sheets list horizontal accuracy in RMS or CEP and without Selective Availability, making those receivers appear more accurate than those specified by more responsible vendors using more conservative error measures. <br />Table of Contents

petryshyn

Commander

ZMOZ<br /> If your speedo is cable driven, it is likely that the magnet in the speedo head has weakened. To recalibrate (remagnetize) the speedo, it must be removed...<br /><br />To check for speedo accuracy, disconnect the speedo cable from the transmission and rotate the speedo cable at 1000rpm. The speedo should read 60mph

bh357

Chief Petty Officer

Eurolarva<br />Selective Availability was turned off May 2, 2000. GPS accuracy is somewhere between 10 and 30 feet for consumer grade units, depending upon conditions (satellites received, cloud cover, etc...).

JB

I guess I was not clear enough.<br /><br />The above explanations of POSITION error are correct. WAAS is one example of how POSITION accuracy is greatly improved.<br /><br />But:<br /><br />Speed is calculated based on the distance between two measured positions in a particular period of time.<br /><br />What makes the speed calculation so accurate is that any error in position changes very slowly so for our purposes it stays the same; if it is 15meters off to the south on one it will be off by the same amount in the same direction on the next. Same with time; off 50ns, it stays off 50ns. The result is essentially error-free speed calculations.<br /><br />Every vehicle I have used a GPS in had a speedometer that was 2 to 5 mph slow at 70mph according to the GPS. Speedos are non-linear and are usually spot-on accurate at only one speed.<br />In my Ford Windstar it was 35mph, the ML320 it was 45mph and in the ML430 it is 60mph.<br /><br />If any device disagrees with GPS speed, believe the GPS. :)

gaugeguy

Captain

If it is a newer vehicle (I'm assuming it IS NOT a cable driven speedo), both the odo and analog display are running from the same speed signal from the transmission.<br /><br />JB is correct in saying the analog signal output to the speedo pointer is non-linear, very close but not exactly linear (the speed signal from the generator is linear). So corrections are made with magnets to get the speedo reading as close to linear as possible. The SAE standard for speedos is 2% of full scale for analog readings and 1% for odos. So if your speedo is reading at the high end of the 2% tolerance and the odo is right on or at the low end of it's tolerance it would very easily explain the difference.