Toyota 22R guru's...

ehenry

Commander
Guys, I have a 1986 Toyota 4X4 with a 22R engine. I bought this truck new and it currently has 264K miles on it. Then engine and head were rebuilt around 248k. Here in last month or so the fuel mileage has really gone to pot. The truck runs fine it just has really poor gas mileage. When the tuck was new the best it ever got was around 22 to 23 to the gallon. I've checked every thing I know to check to try and pick the mileage up but now I'm lost. Any input ya'll might have will be greatly appreciated.

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: Toyota 22R guru's...

Hi EF :) Well, it could just this crappy winter gas. My mileage has been crappy since the switch to winter thiswinter, and my valves are rattling in my 4Runner. if it isn't gas, it may be the timing. If the timing is retarded, the truck will have a little less power, but run fine and consume more fuel than it should. I assume your 22R is carburated? If so, Check all your vacuum line for cracks or loose fittings. Make sure the floats are propperly adjusted.<br /><br />Is the truck running fine with absolutly no indication of something to point at? Plenty of power, no valve rattle etc?

ehenry

Commander

YEah its running fine...plenty of power, no rattling valves just pi$$ poor gas mileage.

ezbtr

Commander

Originally posted by efhenry:<br />YEah its running fine...plenty of power, no rattling valves just pi$$ poor gas mileage.
Bet ya its the carb or vacuum - is it timed right?, I had 86 2wd w/ carb(fast truck) and a 93 22re, loved it had to sell too small for all kids :( . Heinz

dhammann

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had 2 of 'em.....good engines, but crappy fuel mileage. I was lucky to get 18mpg in mixed driving. My S-10 is the best mini-truck on mileage that I have ever seen.....around 25 in mixed driving (4 cyl, 5 sped)

petryshyn

Commander

Check the vacuum advance diaphram. It likely has a dual diaphram. One diaphram is likely ruptured. . .<br /><br />-advance timing 2 - 3 degrees above specs<br />-increase plug gap to .045<br />-lower float level to lowest mark in fuel window<br />-adjust idle mixture slightly lean<br />-adjust tire pressure on higher side<br /><br /> :)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I am hoping you have checked the obvious things, like air filters, fuel filters, tire pressure. Check the fuel lines, make sure there is not any leaks on the lines or somewhere on the tank. Make sure plugs are proper heat range and are in good shape. Check the rear drum brakes, make sure they aren't hanging up. I had that happen last spring on my F150, could not figure out what the deal was until on a hunch I checked the rear brakes. Fixed it and problem solved. Check your compression. I know you just had a head job done, but better to know the health of the engine. Is it a 4 wheel drive, are you driving with the front hubs locked in? Do you have weight in the bed? Change gas stations if everything else checks out. I have been down that road too.

ehenry

Commander

All the obvious has been checked. Compression checks good, no wieght in bed, brakes fine, hubs aren't locked. I think I'm going to check all the vacume lines and the vacume advance.

D

DJ

Take Schematics advice on the vacuum advance diaphram. Th\ose would cause your condition.

ehenry

Commander

I feel like its going to be the vacume advance. Its the original one and its a 1986 model.

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pull the plug and check if there's any water in the bilge.....oops wrong forum :eek: :eek:

LubeDude

Admiral

I had an 87 toyota 4X4 a few years back and my wife wishes we still had it. Mine got about 22 MPG on the highway but only 16-18 on short trips.<br />Im not sure if these had an automatic retard system in the computer, but if the head was surfaced and there is an anti knock sensor on this vehicle, then it could be retarding the spark and needs a higher octane fuel now, Just for the heck of it try the next blend octane next fill up! Also could be the winter fuel as mentioned.

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whatever you do, and sorry I'm not much help with the specific problem, don't give up.<br />I put almost 500k miles on an '86 "straight-stick" toyota pickup with that same "22R" 2 barrel caburated motor.<br />That darn motor is nearly indestructible. Keep that truck (except for the tailgate, which may be rusted out by now).<br />Ditto on checking the vac can on the dizzy. Shoot the **** out of the carb with some gumout and then change the plugs.Edit: and like the other folks said check all the vac lines. That motor also eats up dizzy caps and rotors every 5k miles.

Skinnywater

Commander

Very good truck. The '86 was Import truck of the year.<br /><br />It's about time that the carb float is getting a bit saturated and needs replaced.

ehenry

Commander

Update - I think I've fixed my engine. I took Schematic's timing and plug gap advise. Also, I found several vacume leaks. For the past several tanks of fuel I've gotten on the average of 19.5 miles per gallon. This is as good as it was when it was new. Truck now has 270,092K miles on it. <br /><br />Thank you all for all your suggestions and help.

LubeDude

Admiral

Great. thats what we are here for. Thanks for getting back to us on the matter. All too often we never know if weve helped or not, also it helps us know how to answer another question for someone else!