97 seadoo beeps then quits............

mechscott

Recruit
Have a 97 seadoo, starts fine, runs ok till it warms up, then I hear a short beep, then the engine suddenly dies. Does this in or out of the water (on hose), under load and at idle. Sometimes while restarting, one short beep is heard as the start/stop button is pressed, and the starter will not engage. Lanyard has to be removed/installed, the normal double beep is heard then the engine will start. <br /><br />Originally started it just at idle when comming into dock and was intermittant, but now does it under load and was almost undrivable, ended up towing back to dock. Will still make full rpm's while running. <br /><br />Plugs are good, full of oil and gas. Head seems cool to the touch when hose is hooked up, so I don't think it's overheating. <br /><br />Any help appreciated. I'm a gearhead by nature, but am new to PWC's and two strokes.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 97 seadoo beeps then quits............

It could be a bunch of things try un hooking the heat sensor on the head also check the main ground by the starter, and be sure the connections at the oil tank sending unit are good and all other plugs are ok and be sure the key reader post connection is clean at the wire harness, and all grounds are good , sea doos love to mess with you with all the electrical problems they seem to have. it usually comes down to a bad ground wire some place.

ronskal

Cadet
Re: 97 seadoo beeps then quits............

Like Jeff W says, your going to have to check every elec. plug you can get your hands on.<br />Clean them out with contact cleaner and a little brush.<br /><br />My lanyard key is sensitive to water, so it could be something as simple as a cleaning it.<br /><br />My 96 Sea Doo overheated once when a hose clamp failed. I got a continuous beep with a warning light on my middle combo gauge. That leads me to not think you're getting a false overheat signal or you would have those simptoms.<br /><br />OK, I found my XP shop manual. It says for one long beep (does not mention one short beep) you could have the following: <br />1. Bad connection between safety lanyard cap and switch.<br />2. Wrong safety lanyard. (Or lanyard could be defective)Thats why I have a spare!<br />3. Salt water in lanyard cap.<br />4. Improper operation of the MPEM (computer) or defective wiring harness.