Nissan 70 reliability?

interceptor

Cadet
Can anyone testify as to overall reliability, performance of Nissan outboards?? Have the opportunity to purchase a 1989 70 HP with very few hours, but hesitate, as have heard very little about these units. Any info would be greatly appreciated. GO PACKERS!

buckeye_sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Nissan 70 reliability?

I can say that many (like me) have a very high opinion of Nissan outboards. I purchased a 1992 9.9hp this spring which also had very low hours and the thing hasn't missed a lick all summer. Nissans are built like tanks and are very simple (mechanically) in their construction. *The only drawback is that dealers and parts can be scarce in certain areas. It will help if you can do simple repairs yourself, but check around for any local dealers in case you would need one down the road.<br /><br />*Best bet is to contact Elvin at www.internetoutboards.com As I understand it, they are the main distributor for Tohatsu/Nissan motors and parts here in the USA. He often haunts these boards and is very knowledgeable and helpful.

John_S

Rear Admiral

I like my '85 Nissan 40C and '97 18E. If they still sold these simple 2 strokes, I'd buy another if I needed one. Mine have seen freshwater only. While I have known Nissan and Tohatsu were the same engine, I choose the Nissan name just incase there was ever a time I needed to sell. ie name recognition. When I compared prices, they were the same.<br /><br />Looking in my Clymer manual, there is a 70B and a 70C. Both appear to be 3 cylinders, but there are different timing and other specs. I'd call and talk to Elvin. If there are any particular issues with that series of engine, he'll give you the scoop.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

First the good news...The three cylinder engine was not released until 1993, so its a little newer. Now the bad news...There isn't any. Its a great engine, no design flaws and no manufacturing defects. But, depending on how the engine was maintained/not-maintained it may be a gem or scrap.