Honda B100 oil pressure?

Salty Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone know what the oil pressure should be on an early 80's 10hp Honda. The oil light is flickering and I want to put a guage on it to check it out.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda B100 oil pressure?

I do'nt have that spec in front of me but recollection says that that oil light goes out below 60 psi.A flicker in the oil light is not at all unusual with this unit and you will certainly hear a substantial oil delivery failure while it is happening.

Salty Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hondon, what would make the oil light flicker? I changed the sending unit and it still does it. I am trying to avoid getting to the point of hearing the engine seize while I'm running it. I just changed the water pump but she still has a weak flow out the pee hole. So far I have only run her in a barrel. She idles smooth but I don't want to her self destruct while I'm working things out. I guess a thermostat should probably be next. Thanks

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

That oil pressure light works off the voltage from the pulser coil , charge coil, sensor coil. All these names are for the same thing but from different manufactures.That coil sends voltage to your oil sender that is inconsistant.The magnets on your flywheel ,at idle,which create the field,that creates the voltage,too make this whole ignition system work,PULSE.That is why you will notice a flickering oil light at idle.What you are really looking to avoid is an oil light that fades at any time. Bright is right.

Salty Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

The oil light doesn't seem to flicker at any regular intervals. It just seems to have a mind of its own. Thanks

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Well, oil lights can fail.It does'nt happen all that often ,and when it do'es they usually just go out.I've changed two in ten years.The only way to guage that oil pressure situation is to hook yourself up to a manual pressure guage and look at the numbers.Bad main bearings will cause that light to fade or flicker very dramatically at idle due to the drop in oil pressure that situation creates.Is that what happens to you?

Salty Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

That sounds like what my light is doing but I think the motor is too quiet to have bad bearings. Is it a metric fitting that goes into the block for the oil pressuse guage? Also what PSI should it read.<br /><br />Thanks

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Here comes the funny part.I could'nt find an oil pressure spec for the 7.5 or 10 or even the 8.However that spec for the 9.9/15 is 14 to 22 psi as acceptable and the light goes out at around 8 psi. Oil sender is metric but kits are available at any parts house too adapt a manual guage.