Honda Outboard

bKelly

Petty Officer 2nd Class
While out working today I noticed an outboard that I have not seen before. Until recently Hondas were not used widely around here. <br /><br />It looks like it has a white cowling with blue and white lettering. I assume it is a two stroke and by it size it looks like a 9 - 15 hp.<br /><br />Is anyone familiar with older Honda outboards? Is it possible to estimate the years by color of the outboard? Also, are parts readily available?

Bear

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda Outboard

It was a 4-stroke IF it was a Honda. By the colour I think it was from around 1984-88.<br />There is some parts available, but not all of them.<br /> A 1973 Honda 7.5HP

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

Nice picture Forktail.<br />Is it really a 45 hp?<br />"Honda has progressed significantly from<br />this 1971, 34 kW (45 hp), four-stroke unit."<br />I think it is a 4.5 hp.

bKelly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bear,<br /><br />I was going to see if the owner wanted to sell it.<br />I dont know if it is running or not.<br />Are there any things I should look for that have had problems?

trollhole

Chief Petty Officer

If it just has blue stipes then it's around 1976. That's what mine is. These motors are pretty easy to work on but finding all parts for them is a pain. Some of them have been discontinued. I have totally rebuilt mine and it runsgreat. You can order parts from Link to discussion on site Let me know if you need help I know this motor up and down. :D

bKelly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Trollhole,<br /><br />I have not looked at it good yet. I know it is a 7.5 hp and it looks like it is in decent shape on the exterior. I stopped by yesterday but no one was there so I didn’t get to look at it. It has a white cowling and I think Honda was in blue and a large 75 on its side was orange or red. I think it had a three-blade prop. <br /><br />I was concerned about the general maintenance parts like water pump impellers, thermostats, and such.<br /><br />I want to put it on a 14’ jonboat. I want a “portable” outboard that I can carry fairly easy.<br /><br />If I get the motor I might need your help.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />bKelly

Forktail

Ensign

Bear, it is a 45 hp. :) <br /><br />I thought it might be a 4.5 hp too, but 34 KW is 45 hp (1.341 hp = 1 KW). I've never seen one. Reminds me of one of those horizontally opposed Subaru's or BMW's with the way the cowling looks and all. Check out that dainty little lower unit and that 2-bladed prop. Yikes!<br /><br />I had a Honda 7.5 bought in 1977. It was all white with blue lettering/striping. I don't remember seeing orange. ?

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

Forktail, it isn't a 45 hp. :D <br />I can't find any more info, I have never seen or heard of it before, I can't read the specifications in that picture.<br /><br />So, how can I say it is a 4.5 hp? <br />The Automotive Engineering article was written by who? A car journalist? I think he didn't know about the Honda BF75 (7.5 hp) or the BF100 (10 hp). The big issue then was the new Honda BF 130 (130 hp) and he compared it with the 1971 Honda 45 and converted it to kW. 34 kW is 45 hp and 3.4 kW is 4.5 hp.<br />Honda made a few 7.5-10 hp models in the -70's. When the 45 hp BF45 was released in 1989-1990 it was the most powerfull fourstroke outboard ever made (yes exept the Homelite/Bearcat's). Didn't hear a word of any 45 hp from 1971.<br />They where aiming for the american market in the '70's. There where a lot of Mercury 650, 850, 1150 and so on and they did the same in the begining. If it really was a 45 hp the cowling would read "450 TWIN".<br />And finally, the picture is screaming "A tiny Honda 4.5 hp" (To me at least.) Well, maybe we will never know for sure. Maybe that model where never put in production. Ok, that was a lot of "I think". I would love to know about it.<br /><br />One thing I do know: there was an orange Honda 75 Twin in 1975. (Looking at a picture of it right now.) Actually all white with orange striping.<br /><br /> :)

Forktail

Ensign

You could be right Bear. :D <br /><br />That prop and LU is small....and like I said, I've never seen one. It could be the writer's error, or then again maybe something produced only over-seas. ?<br /><br />If you click on the picture and enlarge, it does say "twin" on the cowling. And the document says B45. The engine is large.<br /><br />Someone out there must know. Kinda like who shot JFK? :)