No Power on 85 HP Force

reppondj

Cadet
Help - Was getting ready to trailer my boat about 2 months ago, pulling up to the dock and all of a sudden, like you tripped a switch, the motor would not go above a fast idle and would not even get on a plane with just me in the boat. Had been running fine prior. I have since cleaned the carbs, changed the fuel line and bulb, bought a SECO service manual and changed the lines between the carbs. Still no success. When running WOT the engine will surge somewhat but still not get on plane. I bought a compression tester and checked comp, it is somewhat low 119/112/102 but dont know if that is the prob. Changed plugs, they were black like they should be and took it back to the lake, still no luck. Pulled the plugs, they were somewhat clean but wet with fuel, not steam cleaned like there was a leak. Cant figure out if my problem is fuel or spark or both. Any ideas will be appreciated.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: No Power on 85 HP Force

Try rebuilding the fuel pump first. The cost is under 10 bucks and is pretty easy. Post your model number for your motor. The diaphrams go out on the fuel pump and will give similar results you are explaining.

reppondj

Cadet

Duh, that would probably help alot of you smart guys out there help me....It is a 85 hp US Marine Force 1986 model #856X6L...as far as the fuel pump goes I can handle that, fairly well mechanicaly inclined here. Is there anything special I need to look for when I do the fuel pump,,,,relying on some experience...Thanks

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Items 2 and 6 on this LINK. NAPA sells a rebuild kit for that pump for 10 dollars. Part number 18-7806. I would only replace the diaphram and main gasket. If there is a screen in your pump replace that as well. Dont mess with the fuel valves. Two are press fit and tough to get out.

reppondj

Cadet

Hey, thanks a million, will go to NAPA tomorrow and give it a whirl. Hopefully that will correct the problem, if not then I will be back...Thanks