Bayliner L Drive 125 HP Force

Shane26

Seaman
I posted my last message in the wrong place so I will try again and see what responses or advice I may get. This is my first boat and it's a 19ft open bow bayliner with a 125 hp L drive Force engine. It seems that this may of not been the best 1st boat for me to buy because I read horror stories. So far is has ran well. Well here is the problem. I have had problem starting the boat lately because it seems that the boat is not getting enough juice from the batteries. I bought a new battery last year for it to replace the starting battery with a deep cell. The boat now has 2 deep cell battery on it with a dual switch. Could it be that I should of bought a starting/deep cell battery and not just a deep cell battery? None of my electronics are hardwired to the battery. I have also done a load test and both of these batteries are at 100 percent. The tachometer jumps around and doesn't stay constant also. That was problem one. The second problem is that my tilt just starting not working also. This happend at the same time as I was having battery issues. Could they be related? I can hear the tilt go down but not up. Maybe a bad switch? I did finally get the tilt to go up. I am wondering if it may just be a bad ground causing all the problems for me. I am mechanically inclined but don't know a whole lot about boats and don't want it to cost a arm and leg. Oh and I ran the boat and then killed the dual switch off and the boat kepted running so I am assuming that the stator is working but the regulator may be bad? Please Please help me. Thanks Shane Sorry for the long post.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bayliner L Drive 125 HP Force

Well, NEVER disconnect the batteries with the engine running. The engine does not use battery voltage for ignition. The charging output comes from the stator through a bridge rectifier, there is no regulator. The system depends on the battery load to control the output voltage. When you shut the battery switch off with the engine running the output voltage skyrocketed. Any electronics connected and turned on, including the tach, were probably damaged. You probably need to repalce the bridge rectifier because you exceeded the peak inverse voltage (PIV) that the diodes could handle and blew them. If you're lucky, you didn't damage the ignition modules.

Shane26

Seaman

L.I. Chuck:<br /><br />I threw the switch off because the marina told me to shut the switch off to see if the stator was working. Do you know roughly the costs of those parts if they need to be replaced? I didn't have any electronics hooked up besides my stereo which still works. I believe the tach meter was jumping around before I did this to the battery. The boat still starts since I have have switch the battery off but seems to not have enough power to turn the motor over without a jumpstart/charger on the battery. If I let the boat sit any longer than a few hours that is when I have trouble starting it. If it's been running it usually starts right up because there is enough power. I hope this helps explains more what's going on. Thanks and let me know if you have anymore suggestions.

peacekeeper6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hey shane can u do me a favor? i would like to see your ignition system so i can base mine off it, can u get ahold of me? 2432782033 or email me thanx.

Shane26

Seaman

Does anyone else have any ideas what might be going on? Thanks Shane

Shane26

Seaman

Boater Dude,<br />When is a good time to call you or what's your email address? Shane

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Shane,<br /><br />Go to a new marina! How were you going to tell if your stator was working by disconnecting the batteries?<br /><br />You probably fried the bridge rectifier and it is draining your batteries. Do a search for bridge rectifier and you'll find a step by step troubleshooting procedure. You'll also find out you can replace the OEM part with a Radio Shack part. This may also solve your tach problem.<br /><br />Oh yeah, Find a new marina!

Shane26

Seaman

L I Chuck<br /><br />My batteries were draining before I throw the switch off. They said by turning the switch off that it would tell you if the stator was working because it operates like a alternator and a alternator working properly will run a vehicle without a good battery in some cases. I also looked up the dual switch I have installed and it states that it's safe to turn the power off without harming the alternator I am assuming it's the same for the stator but in your case you believe not. So I am between thoughts. I will look up the bridge rectifier and check into that. Thanks Shane

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Alternator and stator are not the same thing. Many switches disconnect the alternator field while being switched. This makes it safe. An outboard system does not use a field winding, it uses permanent magnets, you cannot turn them off while switching. In engineering terms a stator is part of an alternator, however for simpliciity sake I'll just leave it at what has been said.<br /><br />Outboard engines use magneto type ignition systems, they do not depend on battery or alternator voltage to run the engine. Disconnecting the battery while the engine is running even on an alternator system is a bad idea. An alternator depends on the battery for field voltage, if you disconnect the field the alternator does not have any output. The problems occur while your disconnecting and reconnecting the power.<br /><br />I repeat, get a new marina or tell them your IO uses an outboard power head. Actually, they should know that.

Shane26

Seaman

Thank you. You have helped. I called and am waiting for them to take a look at it. It wasn't the main mechanic who told me to do that. The main mechanic is supposed to be great from what everone tells me. When they take a look at the boat and depending I what issues come up I am going to let them know that I only did what they told me to do and see what they say. I would of never done that on my own. I am hoping it's minor. I have a manual and have been reading up on the L Drives to learn more but I am not ready to go digging in head over heels to I learn more about it. Do you think maybe I am having trouble with my power trim because of a faulty switch. It goes down always but doesn't always go up. Thanks Shane

Shane26

Seaman

What anyone replace the stator, or any other electrical parts with used parts? If so does anyone know a good inexpensive place that carries this parts for a force l dive engine? Thanks Shane

peacekeeper6

crb6631@bellsouth.net but i figured it out i beleive now i am working on those damn clogged carps. i have replaced the whole electrical system with use parts, works fine other than the carbs, i have extra CD's and two extra triggers and a few of those ones with the plugs, drop me an email we can work something out if need be.

Shane26

Seaman

I got the verdict on my boat. I had one battery that was not taking a charge and the other one only had a semi-charge. We couldn't get a amp reading across the posts but weren't getting a reading. The stator is supposed to produce about 7 amps Which is surely not enough to charge 2 batteries. I put a new battery on the boat and charged the semi-charged battery up and everything seems to be working like a charm. I haven't tried to take a reading again with the good batteries. They said there was a chance it wasn't reading because of the previous batteries but it looks like the stator is bad without taking everything apart. They knew I didn't want a extremely high bill. The mechanic told me that as long as I trickle charge my batteries when I get done boating I should be fine. He said to replace the stator, and what else isn't working could be very expensive. His last words of wisdom was to sell this boat (Because it's a force engine) and get a new one while it stills run great. Not what I wanted to hear since this was my first boat and I thought I got a great deal on it. So now I am considering putting the boat up for sale and looking for a new or buying a used stator and etc and putting the parts in myself to be less expensive. I haven't read good reviews on force engines and I am a bit skeptical. The boat is in awesome shape and was well maintained by the previous owner. Does anyone have any ideas or know what they think I could get for it? Thanks Shane

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't waste my time and money on used electronics, buy new or don't buy.<br /><br />Don't know why you have 2 batteries, but one 1, the starting battery, should be hooked up to that motor.<br /><br />Value of boat? whatever you can get for it and keep a clear conscience.<br /><br />There are lots of good Force motors out there. But if you were to ask me about an L drive, I would have to pass.<br /><br />You could make a nice winter project out of it.<br />Remove the L drive, plug and reinforce the transom, and hang a decent used outboard on the back.

Shane26

Seaman

I am going to check around in the papers and the marinas and see if I can find anything in my price range and meanwhile keep this boat until I find something better. I may have gotten a good Force but I am not sure if I want to take the chance of something major going wrong. It books for around $3100-3900.00 on Nada so I am hoping to get at least close to that. It's in awesome shape and runs well. The only problem in the charging unit needs some work. I only paid 2000.00 for it so anything I can get over that is more for me towards another boat. I should at least be able to get that. I am headed out this morning to check some boats out. I will let everyone know what I find and take your input on the boat since this is all new to me. Thanks Shane

Shane26

Seaman

I just came back from the marinas and I found a few boats that I like but I need to see how much I can sell my boat for. Both of the marinas told me that is they were going to sell it they would try to sell it for around 4800.00. It has 2 new batteries, stereo, VHF marine radio, new speakers, depth/fish finder, boat cover, 2 new tires on the trailer, Bearings on trailer were just re-packed and trailer was painted, New bow, cockpit, and bimini cover was just made a few years ago for 1000.00. It's in great shape. Not really faded. I have receipts of some of the work the previous owner did. The seats are a little weatherchecked but not in bad shape. Carpet and flooring was replaced a few years ago. What's your input for a selling price. The more I can get for it the better off I will be at getting a nicer and bigger boat. Shane

peacekeeper6

i dont know shane, people say this taht and the other about the force engines, but mine is going good untill i was an idiot and left gas near the carbs. but other then that this head is the orignal and has 125 across the board on compression and ran great. just maintain it and it should serve u well, flush it and clean it, be religious to it after u use it thats what i would do.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If the marinas say $4800, see what they will give you on trade-in. Bet they will change their tune in a hurry, if they will take it at all. Trade-in still may be your best bet, as it will get rid of the boat, and get you on the water quicker.

Shane26

Seaman

I know for a fact that they wouldn't give me that much or else I would trade it. The marina didn't really have anything in my price range. I have too many toys such as Harleys, fourwheelers, snowmobiles, and etc so I have to spread the funds across the board. So what do you think is a good asking price for this boat? I am heading out tonight to look at a 91 4 winns 19.5 cuddy cabin. It has a high output V6 Cobra Drive. I guess the motor and running condition is excellant but the seat have sun and weather checking and need to be replace. It comes with a mooring cover and a bimimi top also. Does anyone know this engine?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I know nothing about i/o's. You might want to ask about the boat in the boat forum, and the powerplant in the i/o forum. You will get more exposure and input there. Not too many people come in here to read about Force problems.<br /><br />As far as an asking price, good question. Condition of the rig and local markets will dictate. Want it gone in a week? Put it on ebay to end next Saturday or Sunday.