Fuel problem or Electrical or something else?

trophyman

Seaman Apprentice
96 Force 120 on a Bayliner Trphy 2002, Very Low Hours<br /><br />On a recent outing on the bay I was experiencing stalling at idle and some difficulty restarting. Usually starts on the turn of the key. On our trip back to the boat ramp I was moving along at about 30 MPH when I throttled back to idle to clear some eel grass that i thought I had picked up. When I tried to kick back up on a plane I couldn't seem to get the engine RPM's past 3000. Thought I had more eel grass, backed up to clear, still no acceleration. Then I stopped and raised the engine out of the water - prop was fine, no grass. Restarted and it accelerated to 5000 RPM's and back up on a plane to 30 mph. While waitng for dock space at the ramp at idle for about 5 minutes - it stalls and won't restart until I pump the gas line siphon. <br /><br />Replaced gasline, fuel filter and spark plugs. Engine ran fine next time out until I ran full throttle for about 10 minutes, then slowed to idle and tried to accelerate again. Same situation. shut the engine down, checked the new filter, no visible junk. Restarted and it ran fine. Any thoughts or similar experiences??

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel problem or Electrical or something else?

fuel pump diaphram, $12<br /><br />If that doesn't do it, rebuild the carbs.

trophyman

Seaman Apprentice

OK, educate me a little bit here. If the problem is occurring after running at high speed, why would it be the diaphram. I would think that if it were the fuel pump it would run well at low speed but then faulter when running at high speed. Anyway, for $12 and the price of a service manual I'll have to try it! I'm not looking forward to rebuilding the carbs.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

The fuel pump is the easiest and cheapest thing to start with. Carb kits are 18 bucks a piece. When you do the fuel pump change out your fuel lines as well. Also you mentioned that you had to pump the bulb to get it going again. That sounds like a fuel pump issue. Do you see any gas leaking around the carbs?

trophyman

Seaman Apprentice

There are no leaks and the engine is in very good shape since the boat spends more time on the trailer than in the water. I always leave the engine in the down position when it is not in use and when I winterize the engine I always add Store and Start as well as fogging the engine. I'll have to run it some more and see if I continue to have trouble , but I appreciate any advice.

97trophy

Seaman Apprentice

I have this very same problem. I have a Bayliner Trophy 1903 with a 1997 Force 120. I do have fuel leaking around the carbs. I am not a mechanic, so what does this mean. Can you send me a link to a good place for parts. Is rebuilding the carbs a difficult job?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

carb rebuild is not difficult Kingair you should start a new thread with model and serial number for your motor. It will be easier to find the parts you need for the carb rebuilds

trophyman

Seaman Apprentice

Today it ran great! Ran at top end up around 5000 and about 30 MPH! Idled well - didn't stall at the dock or while we were fishing. Hopefully things are OK! Thinking maybe I has some condesation or water in the gas! Time will tell. Thanks for the advice guys.