force 125 trim/tilt

skayes1947

Recruit
I have a force 125hp trim/tilt that will take the motor up but it slowly lowers itself. I've been told the trim is self-bleeding. What does that mean and how does it work? I need to get the air out. Also, what kind of fluid do I need to put in it. I've been told different kinds by different people. I want to use the correct one. Thanks for your help.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: force 125 trim/tilt

Hello Kaye!!!! Welcome to iboats......<br /><br />Self Bleeding....strange term....but pretty much describes how to bleed of the TNT unit. <br /><br />What it basically means is that when you cycle the engine up and down, any air in the TNT (Trim N' Tilt) system goes to the fluid reservoir. Removing the fill plug lets the excess air out.<br /><br />The procedure is....with the engine at full tilt up, remove the reservoir fill plug and top of the reservoir with TNT fluid. Cycle the engine up and down 4 to 5 times and with the engine in the full tilt position, remove the plug and check the level again. Should be even with the fill plug hole. Top off as needed and do another cycle. Do this until the level stays constant.<br /><br />Most any kind of TNT fluid will work. The best thing to do is contact a dealer and get his recommendation....(long word)...on what to use for your particular engine.<br /><br />Hope we helped a little....thanks!

skayes1947

Recruit

Originally posted by OBJ:<br /> Hello Kaye!!!! Welcome to iboats......<br /><br />Self Bleeding....strange term....but pretty much describes how to bleed of the TNT unit. <br /><br />What it basically means is that when you cycle the engine up and down, any air in the TNT (Trim N' Tilt) system goes to the fluid reservoir. Removing the fill plug lets the excess air out.<br /><br />The procedure is....with the engine at full tilt up, remove the reservoir fill plug and top of the reservoir with TNT fluid. Cycle the engine up and down 4 to 5 times and with the engine in the full tilt position, remove the plug and check the level again. Should be even with the fill plug hole. Top off as needed and do another cycle. Do this until the level stays constant.<br /><br />Most any kind of TNT fluid will work. The best thing to do is contact a dealer and get his recommendation....(long word)...on what to use for your particular engine.<br /><br />Hope we helped a little....thanks!

skayes1947

Recruit

Thanks OBJ for your help. You make it sound easy. I was expecting something complicated (like having to open the lines to bleed them.)While we are into it, we are also replacing the o rings. (It gets annoying trying to keep a big motor up long enough to back into the water.*smile*)<br />We will get it done in the morning and I'll let you know the outcome. If that doesn't do it, I may need more help.<br />Thanks Again!<br /><br /> Kaye

baboon bum

Seaman Apprentice

i use auto transmission fluid when i changed to this it flys up and down

skayes1947

Recruit

I'm back looking for help again. We put new <br />o-rings in the trim unit and bled the air out.<br />It is still going down on it's own....only now it is making a lot of noise when it goes down. (Sort of like a squeaky door.) Any ideas what we can try next? I'm open to suggestions. We called a boat shop and they don't work on the units. So we either have to do it ourselves or spend a fortune on a new unit.<br />Thanks.........<br /> Kaye

cinder1995

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello Kaye<br /><br />I have had similar problems. You need to check the o'rings in the check valves in the bottom of the tilt motor and also check the cylinders to see if they are scored up on the inside or the rings could possible be bad.

skayes1947

Recruit

Thanks Eric,<br />We did replace the o'rings in the check valves. <br />When we had those open we could see the smaller valve had some wear on it. We were told that could be causing the leak down on the trim unit.<br />One of our friends said he could fix that. We haven't checked the o'rings in the cylinders, but they don't appear to have any scoring on them.

cinder1995

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Kaye<br /><br />Let me know if your friend fixed the problem. And what exactly he did.<br /><br />Thanks