motor lowers itself tilt help!!!!

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class
On my 86 bayliner with 85 hp Force outboard recently when I tilt it up and leave it alone for a minute or 2 it will lower back down like the pressure is bleeding out. Could this be air in the lines or something simple or is this a major sign of the pump going bad? It is so bad that when I take the trailer bar out and back it down the ramp its almost touching the ground before I get to the water. Thanks in advance.

CHARGER

Seaman
Re: motor lowers itself tilt help!!!!

im not sure if your outboard is like mine but with mine I had the same problem and it turned out i needed too fill up the tilt resevour (SPELLING) with hydrolic fluid, I did this then discovered the leak fixed that and now its all good too me sounds like its lo on fluid or needs a fluid change that is ofcourse if this outboard runs on hydrolic tilt.

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class

For openers, have you checked the fluid level of the tilt sytem lately?

tennisabcd

Cadet

Check fluid levels, but probably the pilot check valves, mine have gone out twice. I believe you can get them from a merc dealer or out of a place in florida. I had a hard time finding them. Cost approx 68.00 but cant find the name of the place, I am still looking for the receipt. Possibly someone else can confirm a location.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Replace the pilot check valve seal. Seal number is on this forum, try search for 125HP tilt and trim.