1970 - 55hp Chrysler Outboard With Loose Propeller

Stefun

Recruit
Hello, <br /><br />I have bought a 1970 - 55hp outboard from chrysler. The engine is in good condition so it was a good deal, but I found a bug. The propeller is loose. It can be slightly moved on the interleaved drive shaft. The first thing I did was removing the propeller and looking what's up. The reason for that is that the propeller cannot be pressed on the interleaved drive shaft because there is a grooved pin through in the propeller. I thought there should only be a safty pin through the propeller and the drive shaft. :confused: <br />Can anybody help? The next thing I will do is removing the grooved and replacing it with a safty pin, which is thinner so the propeller can be slipped on the drive shaft so that it is fitting thight. <br />Sorry for my humble english, but I'm not a native speaker.<br /><br />Stefun

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 1970 - 55hp Chrysler Outboard With Loose Propeller

Hello Stephun and welcome to Iboats. Here is what I believe you are saying. Your propeller is connected to the prop shaft by splines. There is a hole in the drive shaft where a circuillar pin is inserted when the propeller is lined up correctly. Then there is a propeller nut that is screwed in and held in place with a cotter pin.<br /><br />When you shift your motor into forward you will have quite a bit of freeplay in the proppeller. You should be able to move the prop a couple of inches in either direction by hand before you meet resistance. The round screw that goes through the propeller is to prevent the prop from moving forwards and back.

Stefun

Recruit

Thank you for your input.<br /><br />It is like you described it, but my problem is, that prop can be moved for approximately 1mm forward and back on the drive shaft, in direction of the drive shaft. <br />Reason for that is the freeplay of the circuillar pin, which is not fitting thight to the hole. Is that o.k.?<br />I am used to thight fitting connections, as I'm doing a couple of car repairs. I'm really afraid of loosing the prop... <br /><br />The possibility to move it in the direction it is turning around semms o.k. to me.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What's your email address. I'll send you a diagram of the parts that should be on the prop shaft. I just checked mine and I have 3-4mm lateral movement on the prop. I don't think you have any problem.