force engine stalls

leoleo22

Cadet
it's a 125 hp outboard engine 1988<br />just got it.when you put it to gear it dies <br />i cleaned the carbs and it still does it.<br />the only way i can get it to run is if i give it some gas and put it to gear than it drives, while it's driving it stalls than if i want <br />to stop when you put it in :confused: neutral it dies. Can someone give me an idea what to look for please?<br /><br />Thx:Leo

jeffmock

Seaman
Re: force engine stalls

Hey Leo<br />There are a few theories on this subject, probably all discussed on this board. This board has a great search feature. Search using key words and you will get a lot of matches on this problem. I am still battling this problem myself. Keep us posted on your results.<br />Good Luck

tscott

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is the fuel bulb staying hard or does it get soft?<br />Fuel filter clean? Connections on fuel lines tight?No kinks?

leoleo22

Cadet

i just change the fuel pump, filter clean, lines all tight, it's just shut's down when i put it to gear or when i put it on neutral?????

91formula

Seaman

Leo, I think all force owners had this problem at 1 time or another, me included. I have a 92/120 Force, someone one this form told me don't ajust the idle mixture screws but just bump up the idle itself, I increased my idele to like 850-900 and it's doesn't stall anymore when put into gear, either forward or reverse, try this, it cured mine!

ssuajk

Seaman

I too fixed my stall problem this way, I adjusted the idle, set it a little higher like @ 900-950 and what a difference, since salt is denser than fresh water that may be why it dies and needs to be why idle needs to be set higher. While running at idle, look at the bottom of tower shaft on the left side(fuel pump side) at botom of tower shaft the is a slotted screw with a 7/17" jam nut on it loosen jam nut and screw in the screw it will slowly raise idle watch the rpm, go up to 950 rpm then shift slowly into fwd, ck if dies then nuetral, ck if dies then reverse and ck if engine dies. If your happy lock the 7/16" jam nut and party on. The job will take 5 minutes i the water and yes you must do this in the water, because of exhaust back pressure that a water hose can't create. What is nice is that all you have to do is go to the marina and back in your boat on trailer enough to run the engine make adjustments and go home (nice to know if idle adjustment isn't your problem and you won't have a hell of a day trailering. If you are running happy with engine cover off then you put the engine cover on and motor dies then come back and Bryan or I can tell you how to fix that little booger of a problem(easy too)

leoleo22

Cadet

thx ssujak<br />thx to everyone.<br />i think it's the idle too.<br />i'am going to work on it as soon as monday the weather has been horible here in boston.<br />i'll keep u updated.<br />thx again guys.