'89 125hp Force Steaming

doggies3

Cadet
The overheat buzzer started going off at slow trolling speed. I changed the impeller and housing and it is running cooler - no more buzzer. But I am still getting A LOT of steam out the pee holes at low speeds, even on warmer days. Someone said I might have a clogged bypass valve. Does anyone know what this is, where this is, and how to check it? Does this sound like the problem? Other than that the motor runs great.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: '89 125hp Force Steaming

Hi CA. Could be your thermostat is sticking partially closed and not alowing water circulation. Give that a shot. Take it out once and run the engine without it and see if she still gets hot. If she don't, you found the problem.

doggies3

Cadet

Thanks O.J. - I should have mentioned that I have done just about everything you guys have recommended already; compression test (OK), checked thermostat opening and closing in hot water (OK), ran without thermostat (OK, no noticable change, no heat buzzer but still steam), impeller and housing changed (stopped buzzer but still steams). It seems like other than slight clog somewhere this "bypass valve" (if it has one) is about all that's left. Like I said, the motor runs fine other than this slightly embarrasing fog bank that follows me around at slow speed.

CBU

Cadet

CA Dave, The by-pass valve is located low left of the exhaust port cover.Its retained by a cover(wingshaped) w/2 small(3/8"?) hex bolts and gasket.It is also spring loaded.I have never removed mine but think i recall some mentioning cleaning or flushing for correct operation.Hope this helps even if only a little and hope to hear what you find out.

doggies3

Cadet

Thanks CBU - I'll check out the bypass valve this weekend and see what happens.

doggies3

Cadet

CBU - I must be a dope, but I can't find it. I guess part of the problem is that I don't really know where the exhaust port cover is. Under the motor cover up on top? Down below somewhere? Do mean the pee holes in back? Help. And yes O.J, I have ordered a manual but it is on backorder and I want to stop the steam!

CBU

Cadet

CADave:<br /> exhaust port cover is left of cylinder head(facing sparkplugs).Go to the side w/the starter-look low left of exhaust port cover(looks similar to cyl-head cover-approx.5"w. and 16"tall and buncha bolts).Bypass valve cover is small and retained by 2bolts(<3/8"-11/32" hex heads I think).