Aluminum Surface Scratched

Hello Board!!<br /><br />Tonight I was attempting to replace the impellor and housing on my Force 85 outboard when two of the bolts holding the waterpump housing broke off. Fortunately there is about 1/2" of the bolt protruding, so I don't see too much difficulty in removing the bolts (I will be taking it to a machine shop to have the broken bolts removed anyway). This breakage forced me to remove the gearcase cover and while attepting to do so (I tried to gently use a flat tip screwdriver) the mating surfaces got a little scratched. It doesn't appear to be bad, but I am really not sure as to how precise the fit needs to be. There are no gaskets here, only a couple of o-rings. Can I just use some silicone sealant to ensure a good seal, or did I really screw up a precision fit?<br /><br />Thank you for your help.

ob

Admiral
Re: Aluminum Surface Scratched

Clayton , just use a file and dress down any high spots that would interfere with the joint mating .The cavity is open to drain anyway and a perfect seal is not required.I would not use silicone on the joint if it were mine.A very light film of no-oxide grease wouldn't hurt.Would also recommend preparing and touching up with a good outboard enamel any chipped paint at the joint to inhibit corrosion.

Is there any particular brand of paint to buy? Also, What brand of gear lube should I use? I want to change that out as well.<br /><br />Thanks, Clay

ob

Admiral

West marine carries a selection of outboard paint.I use Penzoil Hi-Vis lower unit gear lube .