What to do with a broken Force 90HP Outboard

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer
My 1990 90HP Force blew a ring last summer. I'm about to mount a 1992 90HP Force on my boat as I got a really good price on it, know its history, and know it'll be a solid replacement.<br /><br />So what do I do with the old one? I was originally going to put a powerhead on it, as Force's are so easy to work on, but have decided against it now that I've got the other outboard.<br /><br />This is my first boat, so I'm really a novice as to what to do with a bad motor.<br /><br />Seriously, do I just e-bay the thing and see what happens?<br /><br />Any advice is appreciated!<br /><br />Oh, and one other odd question, I got this boat (1990 Bayliner Capri 180) from my Grandfather who's gone now, but there was a lot of ring wear evident, and its gotten me to wondering if he was mixing it at the right ratio.<br /><br />I have a mixing container now which makes it very easy to mix it properly, but its his gas still in the boat. Is there a tester available to tell me if its mixed at the right ratio? (Similar to an antifreeze tester, you know, 3 balls float for this ratio, 4 for this ratio, etc?)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: What to do with a broken Force 90HP Outboard

How long has the gas been sitting in the tank with the unknown mix? As for the other motor, you might hang on to it for spare parts.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

The gas was fresh last summer, and he always used the top Mercury oil. <br /><br />Even with the bad cylinder, it still starts up and runs, poorly, but it will run, I even towed a tuber last summer.<br /><br />There is a lot of slop between the ring and cylinder walls, and the broken ring piece is jammed in the top of the piston head. He used the boat a lot, and although the boat itself is immaculate, the motor seems pretty beat up.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

dorelse,Definetely keep it for parts.With their<br />reputation for poor reliability you may need <br />them.<br /> As far as the gas goes if you are afraid its a little lean add a pint for each 6 gallons it will <br />smoke pretty good but a tank of double mix wont hurt anything.<br /> If you dont know the history of the replacement<br />motor you should change lower unit oil and maybe the impeller.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

The reason I ask about the gas is that if it sat that long WITHOUT stabilizer in it, it is no good and would have to be drained. Otherwise you would be jeopardizing your new motor. So if in doubt, replace the fuel with fresh supply.

D

DJ

dorelse,<br /><br />Look up a member by the name of Bart Davis. He posted today.<br /><br />He has a 70 that he is looking for a lower unit for. They may be the same.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll get the lower unit oil & impeller changed...that sounds like good advice. <br /><br />I figured a tune up would also be in order as well.<br /><br />(But again, I've no experience to base this stuff on.)<br /><br />I know my grandfather thought this motor was great, but boy, its just tough to know what to do. I was never on a boat until I got this one, and its been a learning adventure to say the least.

93bronco

Ensign

keep it for parts, replacement parts are only going to go up in price. as availability decreases.<br />my boat came with that 90 till the owners got scammed into overpowering to a 175 <w/ 150 hood> j/e.<br />i must have gotten the lemon of all 120 johnsons and wished i hadnt been beaten out of that 120 force i was going to put on it.<br />do have atleast a generic manual for the motor?

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

I do have a couple shop manuals for the Force outboards. I just am not sure if its worth keeping an entire motor just for parts. Ah decisions.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Keep the engine. Put it in the corner of the livig room right there by that window. It'll be a great conversation piece and your buds will envy you.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

basszzilla

Seaman

i have two force 85hp motors and glad i do, one runner and one for parts. wanna sell it?

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

basszzilla - sorry just saw your reply...e-mail me at delse1 at mchsi dot com.<br /><br />I would like to.

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take it fishing and make a new reef!!!!

DanMcK

Seaman

dorelse, Sticking and broken rings are a real problem for 2stroke engines. Decarbing the engine on a regular basis is the way to avoid problems. By the way I ran a force 125 hp for 12 yrs and it is still being used by a clammer. When they get old they get troublesome. Lots of work maintaining and repairing them. Also air standards are changing. These engine are banned in certain areas. Good Luck.