How much metal is too much in L/U oil?

meant2be

Seaman
I drained my lower unit on a '93 Force 70 and found there was plenty of metal flakes stuck to the magnetic plug. There wasn't much in the drained oil. I am not too sure that the oil could be called milky, but did have very minor grey swirls in it. The thing that concerns me is that I found very small chunks of metal (about 1/4" long and 1/8" wide). Should I be concerned? :confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How much metal is too much in L/U oil?

Howdy, Meant2B.<br /><br />Yes. I would be concerned enough to tear down my gearcase and examine the content.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

ob

Admiral

I agree. Small amount of very fine shavings would be normal after initial breakin of gears,however pieces the size of what you describe is cause for concern.

meant2be

Seaman

I was afraid you guys would say that. I'm going to attempt to drop the lower unit and actually disassemble it for the first time. Well, for me it will be the first time. Wish me luck. :(

D

DJ

Meant2b,<br /><br />Do yourself a huge favor and get a manual first. <br /><br />It will be the best $25.00 you ever spent. It will save alot of time and frustration.

brother chris

Commander

meant2be, <br /> Let us know what you found after you do it. I am interested in finding out what was causing that <br />Cheers, brother chris :cool:

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

meant2be...in a lower that has been neglected, I have found shavings on the plug built up as large as the threaded portion of the plug...if your lube came out with no suspended metalflake in the lube, I would change it and see if it is still 'making' metal......then a teardown is in order......

meant2be

Seaman

Let me answer the question about draining the oil after filling it. I drained it for the second time and found no additional metal chunks or even the glitter. <br />I did get the manual and it is good up to a point. Seems to give you a good idea of what is to be done, but I found that I had to disconnect the shift arm completely in order to unscrew the coupler. I have the pump apart and it looks like this thing has never been serviced. The gaskets were crusted (saltwater?) and the impeller looks like a starfish with curved legs. I hope this is what it is suppose to look like or someone used one with blades too long and cramed it in.<br />I am now up against the wall. Does anyone know what kind of puller I need to pull the bearing case for the prop shaft? I as read the upcoming steps to disassemble the unit I am beginning to think I am in way over my head. I thought I had a pretty good assortment of tools, but there seems to be quite a few "special" tools required and no alternative methods offered.<br />I am up to the challenge, but am I feel like I am digging an expensive hole? :(

ob

Admiral

Meant2be,The main thing that will offer the most restriction in carrier removal is the large "O"rings that seal it to the case.A puller with long thin reversible jaws will work to remove carrier.Jaw ends need to be nice and squared so as to grab inside carrier lip.A three jaw is best.You'll also need a 3/8 or 1/4" drive extension and socket to reach the carrier retainng bolts.Once you get it initially broke loose it should come easily.<br />Water pump impeller sounds normal as they are a twisting tight fit to install.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Please don't put it back together with that impeller. They are cheap and it is easier to put a new one in now, rather than having to drop l/u again, or worse yet, risk a failure.<br /><br />Good Luck.

meant2be

Seaman

I am going to play it safe and replace every seal, gasket, isolator and o-ring I remove including the impeller. Where is a good place to find/purchase a puller that will do the job?

ob

Admiral

Sears,Proto tools,Harbor Freight Tools,Auto parts store

Till

Cadet

Fuzz, on the magnet is fine........it's chunks that are bad. If the unit is negleted and has seen several seasons without service, fuzz could be alot.

D

DJ

meant2be,<br /><br />Your description of the impeller is accurate. That's the way it is supposed to look. It is a positive displacement type pump.<br /><br />Replace it anyway, the blades can take a "set" reducing efficiency.

meant2be

Seaman

@#!!%** $@##!* I bought a three claw puller at Sears and got home to only find it was too short! If anyone could exactly tell me where I can find one that can span the length of the prop shaft (5") and then extend far enough (guessing about 3") into the opening to grab the bearing carrier. Oh, and not have a #$@@^% curve too great to fit down in the opening. I would greatly appreciate it. <br /><br />Sorry for my frustration. I am already stressed over what I might find (damage) once I finally get past the gauntlet. :mad:

ob

Admiral

Don't know what kind of selection you have in industrial tool sales where you're at but several places down here that carry proto and klein tools have some nice ones that are plenty long and thin jawed enough for the job.Maybe you can just return that piece of %^&$#### and robuck %$##@@@ and get a refund.

kev_alaska

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are also some auto part places (NAPA and Schucks here) that rent pullers and specialized tools that will work for you. Saves you the expense of purchasing something you only need once every two years?<br /><br />Kev_alask***

meant2be

Seaman

Thanks for the response OB, it made my day with your color commentary for the store I chose. Going back at it tomorrow. I like the suggestion about possibly renting, thanks to you also, kev_alaska. The saga continnnuuuuuueeeeessssss..... :)

ob

Admiral

Hang in there meant2be , and you'll get it.

meant2be

Seaman

Just another thought on my situation. I originally drained my L/U because on my last outting of the year I caught something in the prop. Shortly after that I could hear a low clunking sound that got progressively louder the more I throttled up. It did not feel as though there was any speed loss. The sound really worried me so I brought the throttle down to about 1/3 and took my time getting in.<br /><br />I read as many post as I could and thought maybe it was the prop (spun). Checked it in gear and it seemed pretty solid. I then ran the engine in neutral (muff on) and it sounded great. My next guess was possible L/U gear damage, thus the draining. That brings me to where I am now. I was studying the manual when it struck me that when I turn the drive shaft and can see the prop shaft turning, things turn pretty smooth for no lube. I also did not hear any clunking in forward or reverse. I noticed the drive shaft spline teeth appear to be worn and are jagged enough to cut a finger. <br /><br />I will try my best to describe what I saw. If you think of one tooth as a triangle with a flat top, both sloping sides would be flat. On mine each tooth has a destinct step grooved into them. The upper 1/2 of each tooth, on one side (I figure this is the contact side),is now only half the thickness it should be. Could the sound I was hearing be the power head gear skipping on the drive shaft? The more thrust applied the more pronounced the skip becomes? :confused: <br /><br />I know that if this is possible I will still need to disassemble to replace the drive shaft. :(