stealth dredging

LongJohnSilver

Seaman Apprentice
I have a dock on a tidal creek and recent hurricanes have shifted the silt considerably. Only a year ago I was able to easily reach my dock via a natural slough which is about 30 feet long. Due to the outrageous restrictions on doing anything to your own property in coastal areas I will have to file a permit and wait, beg and plead to move any of the silt. I was told unofficially by someone in the business that my request might even be denied. Meanwhile, I look across the tidal creek and see where a politically connected rich SOB was allowed to add an ugly bulkhead and have a canal dredged in that could handle a light cruiser. I understand the laws have good intentions, but it’s ridiculous that I can’t move the silt and make the slough the way it was before. I was previously able to access the tidal creek and the ICWW 80% of the time, now it’s more like 40%. My boat is a humble 17 foot skiff so it isn’t like I’m wrecking the environment to moor the Queen Mary. Any tips which are legal?

tgissel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: stealth dredging

I have used a pressure washer to remove some silt around my dock. It seemed to be very effective in making it deeper. I have also used the method of putting the boat in gear while tied up to the dock.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Request the permit, LJS. Do it right.

tommays

Admiral

My friend is a dock builder here on LI and trust me SOMEBODY will NOT like what your doing and they will lock the door and through away the key if that somebody complains<br /><br /><br />Unless the ocean is breaking through fire island NOTHING happens fast :) <br /><br /><br />tommays

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the more you use it the better it will get. i use to have a 28' sail boat, dock at the marina last slip out. if we didn't use it for a week, we would have to rock her back and forth to work the silt from the keel.