15ft RUNABOUT

bernard410

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 15ft runabout will a 45 horse power motor run this bout and will it plane it out until i find a bigger motor that fits my budget i just use it to fish with no joy rides or any thing like that :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 15ft RUNABOUT

So many variables......... give us some info on the hull, brand, model and age??? How old is the engine? Give us some info on that as well. Basically if its a heavy fishing boat and the engine is a 30 year old mac than no, but if its a light weight or alloy hull and the engine is fresh than you may get away with it.

bernard410

Seaman Apprentice

HI THANKS FOR THE REPLYS I WILL HAVE TO CHECK PLATE INFO ON BOAT THE BOAT IS FIBERGLASS 86 MODEL THE MOTOR I HAVE IS A 45HP CHRYSLER 72 MODEL

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The boat in my avatar is a 14.5' fiberglass runabout. It's weighing in around 1000 lbs, motor, fuel, accessories, etc.<br /><br />The 40hp Evinrude pushes it at a max speed of 30mph with no load (just me and a PDF and my camera). About 27 - 28 with a full load. <br /><br />It will stay on plane at pretty low speeds. It rides high on the water at hi speeds, and below 10 or so starts to ride lower (wet area gets larger) as speeds drop until is sort of "plops" full into the water. Then you are trolling. :D I think about 7 mph is the cutoff between planing and wallowing. <br /><br />So you will probably do fine with a 45hp if your boat is near to mine in weight and configuration, and don't expect too much. The righ prop will make a big difference too.

bernard410

Seaman Apprentice

OK SOUNDS GREAT MARK THANKS FOR INFO I WILL ALSO CHECK PLATE ON BOAT THIS WEEKEND TO SEE WHAT RAITING IT HAS ON IT

bernard410

Seaman Apprentice

OK SOUNDS GREAT MARK THANKS FOR INFO I WILL ALSO CHECK PLATE ON BOAT THIS WEEKEND TO SEE WHAT RAITING IT HAS ON IT

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hey! Give us an update on how it performs with the 45!