Ignition coil problem-question

phree_1

Cadet
I have a 1976 chrysler 35-HP outboard.<br />I've been working on it for weeks. I have been reading and doing alot searching on this forum. Thanks to everybody on this forum I have figured out the problem. The problem is one of my coils is bad.<br />I have ordered a repair manual for my motor, but it's been a week and it still hasn't arrived yet.<br />My question is could I switch the pos. and neg. wires leading to my coils rather than switching the coils out themsleves?<br /> Before I switched the coils out the bottom plug was firing and the top plug wasn't. Now that I switched the coils out the top plug is firing and the bottom isn't. The coil on the right side fired the top plug. Could I switch the wires to it and it now fire the bottom plug?<br />It would have been easier to switch the pos. and neg. wires to the coils, than actualy switch the coils. Would this hurt the points or stator? Would just switching the wires around change the fire to the plugs? <br />The coils are very hard to find. I bought a different coil for my motor. This local mechanic said it would work. It looked totally different than the original coil. It was about 1/3 the size. It also had the plug wire built into it, witch the original didn't. The pos. and neg. wire conecters were also different than the original. I switched the wires around and hooked it up.<br />The new coil melted and smoked. It didn't work.<br />The motor use to fire up and run on just one of the coils. It would only run about trolling speed at wide open throttle. Now it doesn't fire up at all.

dpmphto

Cadet
Re: Ignition coil problem-question

sounds like your local mechanic doesn't know what he's talking about. Try seiler marina in florida for ignition parts, does your motor have a power pack or cd module ? chances are that it might be your problem and not the coil.Oh dont work on your boat without a manual or schematics or it might smoke some more

phree_1

Cadet

Yes, the mechanic doesn't know what he is talking about.<br />My problem is definitely the coil. I have found a coil for it now. I'll have to order it in the mail.<br />My question is could I switch the pos. and neg. wires leading to my coils rather than switching the coils out themsleves?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Yes, you can. Just don't switch polarity :D <br />And of course, along with the wires, it switches the plug it fires, so you;ll have to move that too (so it fires the original plug).But you knew that.