force

rlhul

Recruit
looking to buy a 87 bayline with 125 hp force motor is 1992 about 25 hours,heard that force motors are junk any info would be helpful

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer
Re: force

I have had an 88 Bayliner with an 88 Force 125 HP engine, and it has been solid for the last 4 yrs that I have had it. I have never had any problems with it other than minor issues, and the tilt and trim. Other than that for the price it is great. As long as the engine has been taken care of it should run for a long time.<br /><br />I would make sure to check the floor for any soft spots and check around the transom for any signs of rot or anything. This is the only thing that I noticed on mine, was about the floor rotting easily. I then took up the carpet, replaced most of the wood then re fiberglassed it and now its perfect again.<br /><br />Good Luck. I'm sure some others can put some more information in on top of mine.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bryan Cox

Saperry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I ud=sed to have a 1993 procraft with a 125 force.<br />I have heard "they are junk" also. Other than having to replace the starter, I never had any problems in 6 years. <br />I did change the water pump twice and replace the plugs. The moter gave me great service. <br />I sold the boat to my brother and he still takes it out a couple times a month and has never told me of any problems with the motor.

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

check the compression.check the chargeing system,check the lower unit.take it out for a run ,open it up.that it.i have a 1994 120,still run's great.maintenance is the key word on any engine.@ even more with the force engine's.good luck ;)

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class

The main problems with the Force line is the fact the it is "Old Technology", it is the Chrysler outboard of old and has never been updated with the exception of the lower unit and a few electronics that Mercury has installed.<br /><br />The second is that the HP rating is not at the prop, it's at the crank. Case in point, My parents had a 1969 Merc 1250 (125hp) and this guy wanted to race his '94 Force 125 against my 125, now my 125 was putting out about 110 at the prop if that, it was over 20 years old at that time. If Force was rated at the prop, he should have been able to run away and hide from me, actually he couldn't keep up either in hole shot or top end and my boat (88 Chris Craft Cavalier 17') was not a very efficient hull design, very smooth and stable though. His boat was a 16 or 17' Bayliner Bass Boat and they are very efficient on top end. So draw your own conclusions.<br /><br />Craig

rlhul

Recruit

thanks for your help will take a long look at it<br />think it worth 5000 boat and trailer

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

What is the condition? I got mine which is an 88 Bayliner Capri 19.5 Foot with the 88 Force 125 HP and trailer, all was in good condition for $4500 in North Carolina. I would try to negotiate the price down. Did you run a compression check on that engine? I believe it should be between 145-160 psi, if not I would walk away from it. <br /><br />I would take it to the lake and drive it for a while, then get as much of it checked out as you can. Someone on here said something about using an Ice Pick to find rotted wood in the floor, you might do a search for that to see if you can find it. They said it leaves no trace, but will push through into the rot, and if its hard then the woods good.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bryan Cox

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

THE PRICE FOR THAT BOAT IS WAY TOO HIGH.MORE LIKE 3,500 FOR 5,000 IT HAS TO BE SUPER MINT.