Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default best striper lures

well fellows and ladies need to update my lures in the tackle box I need your input on the best stripper lures in use today.don't want advertisement I want tried and true opinions

Default Re: best striper lures

Bubbakat, I take it you are fishin them in a lake. What we do is wait till evening when they go on the feed and chase the bait fish to the top, you can see the little buggers runnin for there lives. The Striper's run in schools and will hang for a while in one spot. We cast those shallow running jointed rapallas in gold and white and fire tiger, also just a good old stick bait like a spook works well too. Some times you will get two or three right in a row, sometimes all you get is frustrated! During the day trolling a deep running crankbait through schools of shad works sometimes. Good luck and keep em tight.

Usually use live trout for strippers here, but if lookiing at lures, a white 3/4 oz bucktail jig with a 5 inch snatrix trailer, or a big rat-l-trap in silver/black or blue/black.The jig works great with the schoolers also - gets below the smaller ones that are beating the surface and down to the big ole smart ones that are waiting for the fish parts to fall past their noses!
    Rules of Repair:
    1. If it ain't broke, give me a hammer, it will be!
    2. You only need 2 tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move, and it should, use WD-40. If it moves, and it shouldn't, use Duct Tape!
    3. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i've used live trout with great success, but is'nt it illegal? i was at a lake one day, years ago! they had stocked trout that day. i noticed big stripers comming in close to shore chasing the trout. so thats where i got the idea to try live trout. these days, if i go for stripers, i try to find something that looks like a trout.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here on Cape Cod, I use Striper Strike poppers, Hopkins lure, Deadly **** (blue) and something called a Beach Bomber (basically a black swimmer with a ball bearing inside that clicks as it swims). Dark lures at night, silver (Hopkins, Deadly ****) during the day.Live bait? People here use eels.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Interesting. The second word of the Deadly lure is d i c k.

Bubba, its been awhile since I fished for stripers but I always used a Bass Buster and had great luck. One day I even wore it to the hospital hanging from my nostril.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

LOL i got a nice visual of that!

Captain

the best lure for 'strippers' ( thats what you typed.)is gotta be neat an personable appearance ,,a little after shave , fresh breath, an the number one lure for strippers OF ALL TIME is ::::A FAT WALLET...

thanks guys and gals for the input and esp. crab bait for the heads up will use spell check next time

In PA it is legal to use trout if you buy them or they are legal size. If you buy them, keep the receipt.
    Rules of Repair:
    1. If it ain't broke, give me a hammer, it will be!
    2. You only need 2 tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move, and it should, use WD-40. If it moves, and it shouldn't, use Duct Tape!
    3. If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Do you use crab bait to catch strippers???
    Make sure the plug is in

not yet but I need to

bubbakat, see the message board at www.sixoldgeezers.comjtw
    It's all about the tools.

"If the ocean is glass flat and the sun is shining, you open up the special memory compartment of your brain and start recording the smells, sounds, sights and feelings." -- Philster

"Poets talk about 'spots of time,' but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a b**** forever." -- N. Maclean

Thanks jtexas I have fished lake texoma several times for stripers but it has been about fifteen years. Need to get out that way again.

Hello.If you want 40 pound stripers and up,there is Race point,Nauset inlet and Billings Gate shoals.We fish the shoals with a "tube" with a seaworm on the end,or a heavy jig.A tube is a long(about 16 inches)piece of tubing with wire inside and hook and worm on the bottom.The jig is a heavy lead one with long stiff hair, resembling a squid.These are used drifting or trolling over 40 feet of water on 25 pound wire lines.Both are jigged in jumping patterns.On Race Point and the Nauset Inlet we use sand eel by day and live eel at night.Live bait is much liked by dog fish and bluefish however.Sometimes we use an umbrella rig.This umbrella shaped contraption gives the impression of a school of bait fish with one lagging behind.This is trolled.
    Make sure the plug is in

Petty Officer 3rd Class

live shad work well

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your looking for huge stripers some guys out in California troll big A.C. plugs. Get one that matches a fish in your lake.If your looking for numbers I do well throwing white 1/2 oz bucktail jigs with a clear chartruese trailer.A Super Spook works great for topwater.In the rivers you can't beat a clown colored suspending rattlin Rogue.Flukes work well in lakes and rivers.White 5" gitzit tubes work well also.

Petty Officer 1st Class

9" Sluggos in colors that match the forage are good when fish are bustin' bait on or near the top.

Seaman Apprentice

Live Shad when in season....free line or under cork, set at level of fish.We have both Hybrids and the big boys here at Sam Rayburn. Schooling at generation below the dam, and above the dam. When shad is unavailable, look for a rubber bait called, Mr WIGGLY, Pearl White. Look like oversized shad, use 1/4 to 1/2 oz jig head and hang on!!These are proven on both Rayburn and Toledo bend.Mr WIGGLY is made in Illinois somewere, not sure exactly. They come in many colors , but the pearl white is the best.......jas....

Commander

umbrella rigs with various sized shads, parachute rigs, bucktails, large spinners.for live bait, bunker or razor clams.
    2002 Wellcraft 290 Coastal
    Twin 2002 Yamaha F225s

Here is a site that makes custom striper lures.www.saltybugger.com And they work ! !

This is very good and you guys and gals keep them comming

Chief Petty Officer

trolling wiggle warts in magnum size. the hot pink ones work around here. They are made by storm. Also casting broken back rebbels in at the levey breaks work very well in the sacramento delta area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast