1998 yamaha exciter twin jet boat steering question

fireyice75

Recruit
Hi, I have a 1998 yamaha exciter twin jet boat that has a steering issue while out of the water for a day or more trailered and in the garage. When the boat is left out of the water in the garage for about a day or more the steering is locking up and sticking in the center position. When I first noticed the problem the boat hadn't been moved in over 3 months and I had to practically break it free from this stuck position. I have tried greasing the steering rods in the stern of the boat but it hasn't helped much. Any one ever heard of this or has it happened to them before? I never had this problem in California when i garaged the boat there but ever since it's been in Florida now I'm noticing this problem. I've attributed this to the humidity but don't know where else to check to lubricate the steering linkage or how to go about accomplishing this. I don't have a manual or any instructions/pictures of how to check for this. Can anyone help?

cenniss

Recruit
Re: 1998 yamaha exciter twin jet boat steering question

Hi Fireyice75,

not sure if youve figured this out yet but I too have the 98 twin exciter 270, and this also happen's to mine, in fact I have snapped the steering cable trying to break it loose... Im in San Diego, Im not sure if its because of salt water or not but what's happening is the water is getting through in between the cable and its sleeve, then when it sits for a while the cable corrode's itself to the sleeve, same with the forward-nuetral-reverse cable. I have tried to figure out a way to get them lubricated but all in all, its a ****ty design and no way to lubricate them, but if im wrong about that then please, someone tell us. what I do to prevent more broken cables is I go out to the boat once a week and turn the steering wheel back and forth for a bit, same with the forward/reverse cable. I hope this helps you out.

pajamas

Recruit
Re: 1998 yamaha exciter twin jet boat steering question

Hey guys, try a peice of rubber hose like 3/8" fuel line for instance. Take the cable off the back remove the fork and nut that attaches to the nozzle. Fit the hose over the cable where the threaded end slides back into the cable. Fill the hose with PB Blast, wd 40, brake fluid or whatever your choice of penatrating oil is. Now use an Air compressor( at low pressure) or an air pump fixed to the other end. Use hose clamps so the oil dont blow all over you,your boat,dog etc. Now force the oil up into the cable.release the pressure and move it around from time to time. Good luck

not sure if youve figured this out yet but I too have the 98 twin exciter 270, and this also happen's to mine, in fact I have snapped the steering cable trying to break it loose... Im in San Diego, Im not sure if its because of salt water or not but what's happening is the water is getting through in between the cable and its sleeve, then when it sits for a while the cable corrode's itself to the sleeve, same with the forward-nuetral-reverse cable. I have tried to figure out a way to get them lubricated but all in all, its a ****ty design and no way to lubricate them, but if im wrong about that then please, someone tell us. what I do to prevent more broken cables is I go out to the boat once a week and turn the steering wheel back and forth for a bit, same with the forward/reverse cable. I hope this helps you out.[/QUOTE]