Yamaha Exciter 270 Neither Engine Turns

Dan in OC

Recruit
I have a 1999 Ext1200X. Had to replace the crank and housing on one engine.
Also brand new starters on both. New battery,fuses ok,even replaced the
voltage regulatorand solenoids and still neither engine turns over. Not even a click. Power to solenoids. Can anyone help me.

Re: Yamaha Exciter 270 Neither Engine Turns

Maybe the safety switches in clean out latche? or the kill switche on the controls panel are not working.

big4blue

Cadet
Re: Yamaha Exciter 270 Neither Engine Turns

I would agree with the earlier reply. If you have done all of that and the boat still is not starting, usually it is a safety sensor. The Clean Out Latch is designed to not allow starting if open due to the impeller housing being open and risking blow out of clean out plug under pressure. I would check that as well as any other safety sensors, even though I think that may be the big one. The other strange thing to check is the gas cap. If air is trapped on tis boat it can cause it to not start or stall at times. Just loosen the cap and retighten. My bet is though that your Clean Out latch sensor needs replacing or the latch itself. Good luck!

Area51CB

Recruit
Yam Exciter 270 Both Engines Start, won't stay on when key released from 'Start' posn

Yam Exciter 270 Both Engines Start, won't stay on when key released from 'Start' posn

Regarding the "Yamaha Exciter 270 Neither Engine Turns" posting (Summer 2009), I suspect you've probably figured out the problem by now--likely either the safety cut-out switch in the back cleanout hatch, the lanyard safety switch, or another one at the FWD/N/REV control (must be in Neutral to start). I too have a 270 Exciter (1998), and have had my share of troubleshooting experiences (including an engine rebuild) over the past 2 years that I've owned it.
Since I'm new to this forum, I haven't figured out how to post my own new thread, so I'm replying to that post and changing the title. My latest dilemma happened a couple weeks ago and doesn't make any sense to me. We were on the water idling when both engines shut down (separate timing). I was able to restart both engines, but could not release the key from the start position without the engine conking out (immediately like I had turned the key to 'off')--both engines reacted the same. Additionally, I could not move into fwd or reverse without the same effect. After drifting out of the channel towards some nasty bushes and shallows, I finally found that I could rev up an engine in idle and actually move forward slowly, which bought me some more time to try to resolve the problem. I knew my battery would not take running the starter too many times, and luckily after about 50 attempts at slowly backing off the switch I was able to release it and we were on our way. I wasn't about to back off the throttle and risk having to start all over, but with only 1 engine I can't get on a plane and we were several miles from home. So I found a nearby dock and called my wife to come get 'the crew' while I would 'limp' the boat back home. After everyone else was safe, I again had to go through the same lengthy process of attempting to release the key, this time to almost the point that the battery was depleted, ultimately being successful, and I made it home just after nightfall.
This failure continued to be a problem the next day when I flushed the engines, even after letting the boat dry out on my boat lift. It seems to be a double failure, because the only real culprit I can imagine is the key switch--everything except the battery and the main safety cut-off lanyard is completely redundant, including those safety cut-out switches in the cleanout hatch, but since I was able to get the engines started every time I know neither of those common components are the problem. It seems VERY unlikely that I would have a double failure at roughly the same exact time. Does anyone out there have any thoughts? Many thanks!