1998 Yamaha Exciter Se Bogs Down After Turn Shut Down Mode??

yzman720

Cadet
I Have A 1998 Yamaha Exciter Se That When You Go To Turn Sharp It Goes To What I Am Calling Shut Down Mode Where It Wont Throttle Up Just Goes About 3 Mph And Bogs Down, I Had One Guy Tell Me He Thinks Its The Oil Sending Unit And To Just Eliminate That All Together And Mix My Oil And Gas And That Will Correct The Problem Does This Sound Right? Im Lost Please Help! Thanks

YamahaMan777

Recruit
Re: 1998 Yamaha Exciter Se Bogs Down After Turn Shut Down Mode??

I just purchased a 97 Yamaha Exciter 220HP... very fast and I love the boat but when I run it "Wide Open" full speed and turn to sharp, the boat will do what you are calling "Bogging Down" and I will have to put it into neutral and recrank it. I took it to a local boat mechanic and he seems to think it has some kind of "kill switch" safety mechanism and is confident that he can disable this. I plan to take it to him this Monday Aug. 18th and let him have a crack at it.

big4blue

Cadet
Re: 1998 Yamaha Exciter Se Bogs Down After Turn Shut Down Mode??

Did either of you get teh solution you were hoping for? I have a 99 Exciter 270. Does the same thing. If you look at the fine print in the manual, it states that if you are running on low fuel (less than a 1/3 tank) that the engine will cavitate causing your bog down. The trick is to turn the suttle **** on that engine to reserve, which tends to work. Alos, because these boats are light, if you are solo and are a big guy like me, or running unbalanced passengers on one side it tends to prop one impeller out of the water just enough to cause this. When I run solo, I tend to sit in the middle seat or lean that way which works. When I have passengers, I make sure the weight is somewhat balanced. It is a bad design though, and would love to hear if anyone has a more permanent (and less crazy) solution than the one suggested to me.